electrical math - ground rods

Page 2 of 2

No worries, it was more accurate anyway.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Limp Arbor wrote:

Hmmm, Cave men used power of water and patience even drill a hole thru hard rock. Now you can test the quality of the ground rod by connecting a 120V lamp between hot and it. If the lamp lights up bright?

I once thought of that and even went to the trouble of doing research to find a long enough masonry bit. Does anyone make a masonry bit that long? I sure would like to buy one.
<I once thought of that and even went to the trouble of doing research <to find a long enough masonry bit. Does anyone make a masonry bit that <long? I sure would like to buy one.
NOt sure if they are masonary bits but at work we have some carbide tiped units that are somewhat over 6 feet long. We use them to drill out set up plastic in pipes. It is a plant that makes polyester material and when some instrument piping gets stopped up we have to drill them out.

I made a spade bit I used to aerate some really hard clay. It was about 4 ft long. A longer one could be easily made.. I drilled holes in the clay about a ft deep where grass would not grow and filled the holes with potting soil and planted grass seed.. It took about 2 or 3 years but the grass finally broke up the clay.
Jimmie
Limp Arbor wrote:

how do you attach that 5/8" rod to a 1/2" chuck?

Using a DT adapter Steve. With all your skills and experience, I'm surprised by your Q. The adapter is made by 3M. If you can't use baking soda for something, try duct tape.
Red Green wrote:

the 6 i've put in in the last 3 years went in with a sledge. Two of them were in fresh backfill, and i pushed them in with my own weight. <G>
steve
On 1/23/2010 2:34 PM, Limp Arbor wrote:

Ground rod pounders and big hammers. Key word "men", not boys and girls. Limp wrists don't help much either.
I'm over sixty years old. Two years ago I installed a fifty foot antenna tower for high speed internet at my house. I pounded in four 11' ground rods (lightning) and put up the tower in an afternoon by myself.
Imagine that.
LdB
Limp Arbor wrote:

You might want to check your current electrical code. Nebraska requires the concrete encased grounding conductors. Basically, it's 20 feet or more of 1/2" rebar. I think it's in the NEC but my book is way.............. over there.
Limp Arbor wrote:

A pneumatic chipping hammer hooked to a big Ingersoll Rand towed compressor.
TDD