electrical math - ground rods

Page 1 of 2

Two, eight foot long 5/8" copper clad steel rods - plus - One 1 1/2" Milwaukee rotary hammer drill (no bit) - equals - Five minutes total to drive them both through clay and rock
For the last few inches I put an old 6" long 1/2" drive impact extension in the drill to use as a bit. Worked great.
I can't imagine how cave men drove their ground rods...

ok, now lets see you use the drill to get them out in five minutes....

True story helped a old friend widen his driveway, till we hit the ground rod system a couple feet from the house. He reported the electrician was unable to drive rod closer to home, supposedly metal trash buried in area. Quite possible since it a old farm house.
I said no problem we will drive new ground rods just behind house.:)
he inssted he wanted to pull and reuse the ground rods and copper wire. The copper ground wire was aleady beat up from our digging around it:(
So I said you pull the rods, and redrive them then I will help finish the widening.
That was about 3 years ago the job hasnt progressed at all.

We use sledge hammers
RBM wrote:

with pipes as handles so we can use them like a post pounder until the top of the rod gets close to the ground.

I pounded two ground rods each at 10 feet long according to our Code. We have heavy hard pan clay starting about the 3 foot level. I had a step ladder and a 12 pound sledge. They went down the 3 feet easily, but the last 6 feet was murder (I left 1 foot out the ground as we were backfilling about 3 more feet of fill to get final grade). Out of sheer boredom, as it was taking all day, I measured progress as I counted the hits of the sledge hammer. I was getting about 30 hits per inch or a 1/32 inch per hit. My arms were ready to drop off after spending an entire day just to get two ground rods installed as a had an inspection the next day so that I could get the panel turned on for temporary power. This was 40 years ago, I wish I had heard of using a hammer drill, that is if I could afford one back then.
That sounds like a LOT of work. Did you use a grinder, to make a point, on the end of the rod?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Didn't need to make a point, the ground rod came with one.
EXT wrote:

Wowsers. The worst one I did took me maybe an hour or so. It was in an old fenceline between two fields. I was convinced someone must've buried an old hedge post right where I was driving the ground rod. The last half of the 10' rod went pretty slow.

*I have been using a rotary hammer for many years now except that I have ground rod driver bits to go in the rotary hammers. You got lucky with your soil conditions. In some spots I hit shale and it is very slow going in.

Push them in the ground with a backhoe
Jimmie

Got a Harbor Freight coupon for one of those?
Red Green wrote:
(snip)

Chuckle. Gotta love those coupons. I've got 7 of the little flashlights so far.
-- aem sends...
I've lost count.
Oh, if you put the light in your pocket, turn the battery pack backwards. So that when the button get pushed some how, the batteries don't all go dead. I found mine dead in my pocket, today.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Limp Arbor wrote:

Through sheer force of will.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

A drive pipe, and young stupid junior employees they wanted to keep busy and out of their hair. (DAMHIKT. BTDT, etc.)
-- aem sends...
Yoda!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Some elections drive them with sledge hammers until they hit a rock. Then cut them off. WW