electrical lighting mystery

I have two hanging pendants over my kitchen island in my new home (50W halogen bulbs). One went out a week or so ago...thought it burned out so I got a new bulb. New bulb didn't work....so I thought it must be the lighting fixture. Tried the bulb in the other light to make sure it worked and did (so did the old bulb, not burned out...). But - when I put a bulb in the not-working fixture when they power is on (I was experimenting) the light works fine - both are on. I leave them on, they are fine. If I turn them off and turn them back on, they both come back on. BUT...when I turn them off and leave them for awhile (20mins+) then the one doesn't come back on again!?! Do you think it is a bad light fixture or something else electrical? Terribly confused....

Thanks

This is what the fixture looks like (not exact model) just in case:

adil.hoxha

Nothing to be confused about. You have a bad socket. Halogen lamps burn real hot and burn out the contact metal in the socket

RBM

That was my first guess, but I would not rule out some sort of power supply problem. Is this line voltage or low voltage halogen lamps?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I agree that it could be the socket. Get a magnifying glass and look inside of the socket. There may be a strip of metal on the side that makes contact with the bulb. Try bending it out ever so slightly with a very small screwdriver.

John Grabowski

And, TURN THE POWER OFF before you stick that screwdriver in.

Also, if they are screw base bulbs look at the contact at the bottom center of the socket. If it's flattened down, try pulling it up a bit with a piece of stiff wire with a small "L" bent at its end.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thanks - I'll try adjusting the contact point (power off :) I'm glad to hear that is probably the problem...hopefully that will fix it up.

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

adil.hoxha

Reply to
Professional