Electrical - Is this legal to code?

Page 2 of 3
On 8/4/2012 6:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

do, you might see if differently.

So you're an electrician who admits to not following code. Interesting.
On 8/4/2012 7:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

On 8/4/2012 5:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

had tripped with no apparent symptoms before or after.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

That's extremely rare anymore. As I said, fifteen years ago, sure. I might not put one on a freezer, either but that's not the general case. I'm wiring my basement now and I'll use them everywhere. There's really no reason not to.
On 8/4/2012 7:10 PM, DanG wrote:

My neighbour had a gfi outlet "trip" on him while he was away for a few weeks. He lost a 20 cu foot freezer full of meat. Several deer, couple moose, and several several several choice cuts of freshwater fish in addition to beef/pork/poultry/lamb.
His home insurance agent actually came out and agree to compensate him $1700 for the lost spoils of hunting and fishing.
I would imagine the deer and moose and bear of Northern Ontario will be paying the true price of this gfi "trip" for the next couple years...

Why would a GFI be placed on a freezer or refrigerator anyhow? It's bad enough when there is a power outage and these appliances go off, but normally the power is restored long before these foods are ruined. A tripped GFI does not notify the owner of the failure, and it may be days before the woner finds out what occurred.
A GFI should never be used on a freezer, refrigerator, sump pump, sewerage pump, furnace, or life support device.
On 8/5/2012 3:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

certain locations regardless what you're plugging in.

ANY GFCI devices. Then again, there is no "unfinished" space in the whole house. Some "semi-finished" - and no sump pump.
I would not buy a house that needs one, personally. Enough high spots, on sand, in our area that I don't need to settle for a house built in a valley, on clay, or in a swamp. And no need or desire to move to an area where that is not the case.
The freezer is another story - and I DO have a "power out indicator" on the freezer outlet. I plugged an old UPS into the other side of the outlet, where the water softener plugs in. If the power goes out it hollers loud enough that I can hear it all the way to the top floor.
On 8/7/2012 11:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 14:53:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Because it's code in much of the US. There used to be an exception for freezers when they were the only thing on the branch (single outlet) but that went away recently.

All but the sump pump, shouldn't be plugged into outlets in a wet area, particularly life support devices. I doubt sewage pumps are required to be on GFCIs because they're hard-wired, no?
On 8/5/2012 5:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

unless the manufacturer requires it. It is the outlet location where the pump is plugged in, that may require the GFCI device

Right, but sump pumps are usually plugged in and are usually in places that require GFCI (wet areas/basements).
On 8/5/2012 5:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

requires the GF protection. None of these things require it, if they're hard wired. (unless the manufacturer requires it)

Ok.... Aren't *all* sewage pumps hard-wired? I've never seen a sump pump that was. They all seem to come with cords/plugs.
On 8/5/2012 6:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

they're typically cord and plug. Some of the effluent pumps in outdoor, underground pits are hard wired. Recently I'm even seeing commercial duplex sump controllers that use outlets for the pumps. It's just easier to do repairs and replacements.

I'll believe you. I've personally never seen one.

I thought that was the reason for the residential units being plug-n-cord. They always go when the water is risin'.

duplex, receptacle - at least not under Ontario code, the last I heard.
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 23:39:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's the discussion. The latest NEC changed that exception.
On 8/5/2012 3:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

If he kept his freezers in an unfinished basement, doesn't the code now say to have gfi?
To be honest, he probably never thought about it.