Electrical Humming/ Buzzing

I have a 18 year old home with circuit breakers. For the past 2 months I have noticed an intermittent electrical noise that come through all my electronics and appliances at the same time... the TVsbuzz and have lines through the picture, Stereo and computer speakers buzz, my fridge even buzzes during these episodes. They last approximately 5 or 10 minutes. I have only witnessed it about 8 times. The times they happen vary from daytime to night. I called the power company and they replaced all of the connections from my meter to across the street to the pole. It happened again last night. My electrician is on vacation until Monday and I am worried that my house will burn down in the meantime...I am also hesitant to call another electrician taht I don't know, becuase I am worried that I may be taken for a bundle.... Has anyone run into this before? Do you have any suggestions on what to look at? Thank you in advance for your assistance, Cheryl

You've noticed it for 2 months, but now you can't wait until Monday? First thing I'd do is call the electric company. It should cost nothing for them to make sure nothing odd's going on with the wires outside. They may also be able to explain the problem, even if it's got nothing to do with their outside equipment.

They have already come by and replaced all conenctions from my meter out to the pole on the street. I can wait till Monday, it's just really creeping me out.
I had the same issue here, & after lots of hunting & trial & error, discovered that the transformer for the humidifier that is built into my furnace was the culprit. I have since replaced it & have had no more issues.

ask electrician to install new arc fault stuff, provides more protection, info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc-fault_circuit_interupter
buffalobill wrote:

What a putz...

If this would make any change at all, it shouldn't be done until the noise is found. If you do it now, the breaker will trip everytime the noise starts and they'll never find it. And how do you know which breaker?
But frankly I don't think this noise or its cause will cause any breaker to trip.

If you share a transformer with another residence check with them to see if they have the same problem. If not you have to rely on the power company as to whether or not there is any problem at the transformer. The odds are though the interference is coming from one of your own electrical gadgets. When it happens disconnect things one by one from the electrical service and see if it goes away.