Electrical Grounding Clip To Junction Box Installation ?

I could never get those grounding clips to work right. I assume you have old junction boxes that have no threaded hole for a grounding screw? I always drill and tap a threaded hole so I can attached the ground wires with one of those little green screws. I forget the correct size for the hole, 10-32 maybe? It's whatever size tap that is in my electrical toolbox. ;-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Hello:

Anyone know a link to a site having a picture showing the correct installation of a wire to a "grounding clip" that fits over the side of an electrical junction box, or a handi-box ?

Looked all over, but couldn't find one. No luck with Google either.

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

I think I have seen these with the bare copper wire bent around the edge of the box, then the clip placed over it to hold it in place. (Use pliers to form wire around edge.)

So if the edge of the box was an "I" shape, then the wire bent over it would be an upside down "U" shape, as would be the clip over it.

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Robert11

Hi,

Yep, an old box.

Thanks for suggestions.

Bob

Reply to
Robert11

You're right about finding a picture, etc. I could find one either. Anyway, you lay the ground wire across the bottom of the box, then up the side and on out (straight) into the room. Slide the clip down the wire (the open end of the U toward the box) and the straighter leg of the clip will be inside the box and the J hook leg of the clip will be outside the box edge, hanging on the box edge, actually. The J shapes on the other leg form a groove where you put the end of a medium sized screwdriver. Rather than pushing the clip onto the box (which tends to bend the clip out of shape), I usually smack the screwdriver with pliers, etc to quickly drive the clip down onto the box. You can then just nip off the excess wire flush with the clip.

hth bill

Reply to
rider89

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
Master Firefighter / Rescuer T