Electrical/Generator question

Page 1 of 3
I have my portable 5000 watt generator ready to go for winter if I need it. Instead of running a cord from the generator around the outside of the house and under the garage door to the appliances that I want to run in side the house in case of an electrical failure, can I put a female outlet on the outside of the wall connected to a female outlet inside the wall, then plug in a 12/2 with a ground coax from the generator to the female outlet outside on the wall and run my inside cord from there? I would have a male plug in on each end of the coax. Any suggestions on this?
So when the utility lineman goes to restore your power lines, your generator creates the 4,000 or 13,000 volts that kills him? Good reason why we don't do what you are proposing and why emergency generators connect to household power using specific switchover hardware. It should have been intuitively obvious why we don't do what you have proposed.
The switchover hardware includes basic redundancy that all such systems must contain. Too many foolishly think that tripping the mains circuit breaker is sufficient. Again, obviously not. Consult an electrician or review such equipment solutions in Lowes and Home Depot for further details.
Mel wrote:

How do you get 4,000 volts out of a portable generator? I'd like to buy that brand of generator next time.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

By backfeeding a transformer.
If the utility company's transformer steps 4KV *down* to 240 for your service drop, and you backfeed 240 into the load side, it's stepping that 240 back *up* to 4KV on the line side.
Be interesting to call my local utility some time and see if that's the line voltage otu there.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

As I understand it, MOST distribution systems feed 4Kv to the local pole pig. The ones that don't, feed voltages _higher_ than 4Kv.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:07:53 -0500 "w_tom" used 24 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

I think maybe everyone mis-read his post. I don't think he was planning on hooking the generator to the rest of the house wiring. I think he wanted to simply have a way to get the power from the generator inside the house, then plug in appliances to the isolated outlet, eliminating a long extension cord run to his garage.
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Stormin alot of "portable" gens output 4000-5500 watts, define "portable" , they are usualy 150 -165lb

Hmm. Not so obvious to me. What more would have to be done other than killing the main breaker to disconnect the house from the grid?
We are discussing human life. That means everything needs, at minimum, double redundancy. Where are the layers of protection? Again, this is obvious and a basic fact of life. Flip one circuit breaker and numerous failures could occur from damage to the generator, house fire, and even electrocuting a lineman with 4000 or 13000 volts.
If that need for redundancy is not extremely obvious, well, I sure hope you don't do any designing. I sure hope that is not you sitting at a stop sign just waiting to floor it. This too are why we require redundancy. Again obvious. Why a driver always looks twice - if not more - before pulling out.
Robert Barr wrote:

The original poster was not connecting ANYTHING to the grid, or to his houses wiring. He wanted, simply, to have a connector on the outside of his house that joined a connector inside the house so he wouldn't have to pass a cable through an open door or window.
Got it?
BB
Oh shit. You gone and got old w_tom all wound up. Now we'll all pay the price.

That will work, except: 1) 12/2 will only carry 20a. (or, 16a at 80%) Your genny puts out 42a. If you generator has two 20a outlets on breakers, you could run two of your circuits. 2) The double male cord is called a suicide cord, for obvious reasons. Plenty of people use than and I have not heard of a problem, but the potential is there. To do this properly you should have a recessed male outlet and a regular extension cord.
Get a transfer panel. A Generac 6 circuit with 2 watt meters , wire, exterior box and plugs 200$ at Lowes, separatly apx 350-400. Install apx 3-5 hrs. The panel is pre wired and labeled. It is the safest way, plus your gen puts out power on 2 legs , a panel lets you balance the load
Thanks-I'll be going with the transfer panel

it.
house
plug
outside
in
This is commonly called an suicide cord. Any thoughts on why?
Yes I wonder why, since it's more apt to kill a lineman than the user who made it, shouldn't it be called a homicide cord?
Wow, that's good. I'm really in awe.
When a Palestinian straps on a bomb and goes into a bunch of Jews, isn't that a homicide bomber? a suicide bomber would go off alone into the desert.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus