Electrical for Bathroom Fan

junction boxes must be accessible with out removing finishes.

get a fan that will fit the housing that does not make as much noise. Lots of luck if it is older. The fan manufactures seem to change designs like the car manufactures. Well not every year but almost.

Reply to
SQLit

I just bought a new exhaust fan for my bathroom to replace the 747 that currently resides there. The problem is that on the old fan housing, the electrical and exhaust were on the same side. On the new fan, they're on opposite sides.

Given that it's a 1st floor bathroom with no access from above, what's the best way to tackle this? The romex is stapled to the joist, so there's no give in it. Is it legal to extend the wiring and bury a junction box in the ceiling? There's little room to extend the exhaust ducts to the opposite side of the fan.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Frankie

The romex should be stapled near the fan but should still have a loose loop farther back that you can pull in, according to most codes,..... but it's not always that way in the real world.

While not generally done...... If you are good with soldering, you "can" splice on a new piece using ROSIN CORE/ELECTRICAL solder.

Tape or use shrink wrap on each conductor, then tape the whole mess together.

This is a fix that meets code in most areas, but is a fix of last resort.

If in doubt, best to just find a fan housing that has the wiring in the right spot for your needs

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

You can't bury a box in a place that you have to disturb the building finish to get at it but removing the fan is not disturbing the finish. If all the box serves is the fan this is no different than the box above a can light.

Reply to
gfretwell

All of the jurisdictions I work in expressly prohibit soldering connections/splices now. A splice is a splice no matter the method of connection. Splices are required to be in a junction box and that box must be accessible.

Reply to
SQLit