Electrical flash behind light switch plate

I am wondering if this is normal. I can see flashes of light sometimes when I flick on various light switches around the house. It's intermitent but most noticeable at night when there is little light in the room. I am nervous this is going to start a fire. Spoke with the developer they said it's normal. Any thoughts?

This has to be a troll. Even the worst arc wouldn't be visible with a switchplate in place.
But just in case it isn't; no, a significant arc when using a switch isn't normal. It will eventually cause damage or fire.
Toller wrote:

I put in the cheapos from the depot and can see a spark when I flick on a light in the dark, you have to be at the right angle to see it. Yes I have cover plates on.

If you say so. My house has "contractors" switches, and I have never seen an arc.

I think God is talking to you. Pay close attention to the lights and you will understand what he is saying.

No, it's visible through the lever part of ivory colored switches, especially if it is dark in the room and the switch turns on something that is not a light or something in the other room. Would God do this if no one could see it?

These are little arcs. I think they're normal.
It is normal and as long as the arcing stays within the housing of the switch it is also safe. Better switches than the cheapest "contractor grade" have a better chance of not arcing but it still can happen because thats what electricity does when a circuit is closed when a load is connected. I bet it dosen't happen on switches that go to receptacles where nothing is plugged in right now.
Now if it were a loud pop and the light flickered, then I would say go ahead and replace the effected switches because the contacts have eroded due to too much arcing.

It is normal. All standard wall switches under load will cause an arc when making and breaking. In most cases it's small and not noticeable. If its hissing , crackling,or sparks coming out of the switch body, then change the switch

flash spark normal....
cheap white or biege switch, with cheap cover plate.
just forget about it
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Question: How old is your house?
If it was built in the 70's you might be dealing with aluminum wire. You could also be dealing with aluminum wire and a light switch rated for copper, instead of switch with a CO/ALR or the older Al/Cu rating. Aluminum wire is notorious for loosening because of the warm-cool cycles with use. If the connections loosen sufficiently they will arc, and in some cases (like in our bedroom) quite spectacularly.
Steve

Aluminum isn't going to make any difference with switch contact arcing.
Minor, sometimes visible (especially when dark at particular angles) arcing is normal.
_All_ mechanical switches arc. The real question is "how much?"
Seeing it "through" some of the plastic isn't altogether abnormal either - depends on the plastic.
If you can hear more than a slight snap, or makes prolonged noises/sizzles etc, produces any visible smoke or smells of ozone, replace it.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:03:07 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

Evem "arcless" mechanical switches arc. But the whole mechanism is submerged in oil, so flammable gasses can't get into the switch and ignite, and then ignite what is outside the switch.