Electrical Fixture screw size

The screws that hold on the "jar" on those common outdoor light fixtures that go next to a door. Anyone know what the thread is on them? I just picked up a "jar" for an existing fixture and realized the screws are missing. A #6 is too loose, a #8 wont thread in. They must be metric.....

I should have just changed the whole fixture, but since I am this far into it, I guess I will have to buy the dang screws. Why do they always got to make everything so frikkin difficult..... I know I am not the first person to lose the screws. I dont care if they are the fancy brass ones, just something that fits and keeps the jar in place.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Typically it would be 8/32, but this stuff made in China seems to use screw sizes that are not quite, but I don't believe they are metric either. It may be easier to buy a tri-tap and rethread the bracket to 8/32

Reply to
RBM

i accidsently lost some awhile ago:(

Lowes had replacements for common sizes in their electrical department

Reply to
hallerb

I concur. Some of the screws that have been coming with the fixtures look like 8/32 but the threads don't screw in easily into a 8/32 tapped hole. Try retapping with an 8/32 tap.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Strange, why would screws come with the "jar;" the screw goes with the metal fixture. The screws that you tried may simply be the wrong thread, not just the wrong size.

Doesn't matter, just use any metal threading screw that is a bit big and let it cut new threads in the metal. If the screw has a sharp point, remove the screw and file off the sharp point to avoid scratching the glass jar.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon