Electrical - convert 110v to 220v outlet using 12/2 w/ground

Idiot.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

So?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

So it's dangerous, and (in many jurisdictions) illegal.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Nicks great, great, great, great, great grandfather.

-zero

Reply to
zero

Hey Doug, the rest of us have to follow the codes, but Nick knows more about it that you or the NEC or Tom Edison. He'll write an equation to prove you wrong.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

So?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pine

So are you just being argumentative, or are you really that stupid?

Reply to
Doug Miller

No. We can do anything we want with the wires in our houses. Of course there are consequences. We might use a GFI for more safety. Remember when telephone answering machines were "dangerous and illegal" :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Of course there are. The potential consequences of unsafe wiring include fire, electric shock, and death. Ignoring those consequences is stupid.

No, Nick, I *don't* remember a time when telephone answering machines were "dangerous and illegal." If you do "remember" that, perhaps you should seek professional psychiatric help.

Reply to
Doug Miller

NOT TRUE! Before deruglation it was ILLEGAL to cnnect ANY non telephone owned equiptement to your phone line. The phone company claimed it could create a hazard to phone company workers and damage their system. Mostly they were greedy and wanted the $$ to RENT each phone to you.

This up to perhaps 1975 or so. Somewhat earlier than that I found a phone being tossed in garbage. Connected it for my elderly grandma in her bedroom so she could call for help if needed.

One day the phone company called auditing the ring current, thats how they detected how many phones you had. Grandma panicked but later let me reconnect it after I removed the bell. That way they couldnt tell.

Phone companies did offer a intercconnect device they would install for like 200 bucks:(

By 1980 or so things got deregulated and phones could be PLUGGED in with the common jack in use today.

So indeed at one time ANY customer equiptement was illegal, if the phone company found out they could and did just disconnect your service.

Incidently at one time it was ILLEGAL to split your cable to say 2 sets. Cable charged extra for that.

Things have changed a LOT over the years!:)

Reply to
hallerb

Cite the law that prohibited that. Phone company policy, maybe. But law??? Naaah.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Phone companies prohibited it, federal deregulation law allowed it along with gifting ownership of interior phone lines to the homeowner. Before that a homeowner wasnt permitted to work on the lines in their home.

I worked for a short time a start up company doing phone installs right after deregulation.

Phne companies rountinely disconnected service if they detected tampering of any type to their lines and phones.

You just arent old enough time sure flies

Reply to
hallerb

Like I said -- phone company policy. That's not the same as being illegal. Still waiting for you, or Nick, or anyone else, to cite a *law* against connecting telephone answering machines in your home.

And they were never "dangerous", either. Nick's just out to lunch.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Google "Carterfone decision."

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

If you can do without the outlet and still need a light in there, you can always run 220 to the pump with the wires you have, and run low voltage wiring from another source for a light. LV wiring can be almost anything strung overhead or underground. However, by the time you go thru the time and cost to do all of that, it's would probably be easier to change your wire to a 12-3 or better yet, 10-3. It all depends on distance and whether you got to dig or go overhead, and other circumstances. I know digging is a pain, which is why I always run underground cable thru plastic conduit. That way I can change or add another wire easily.

Since you said you have NM romex, I will assume it's NOT underground, or at least hope not. Use UF underground, use Triplex overhead. Of course I have to admit, I have UF overhead going to a few of my sheds. It's just for a light. It's not approved, but works fine as long as a tree dont fall on it. (Just had a damn tree knock one down, but the wire was not harmed, the insulator got ripped off the shed instead.)

Reply to
maradcliff

It was a FACT that you werent allowed to touch connect mess with or sell anything that would connect to the phone network because EVERYTHING belonged to the PHONE COMPANY and being their property.

Are you allowed to mess with others property say your neighbors car?

Eventually some older folks will show up and confirm my position..

It was BELIEVED customer equiptement if it malfunctioned could say electrocute a phone repairman.

Is it a law or rule about backfeeding generator power during a failure?

Reply to
hallerb

That's probably part of the utility tariff, which may have the force of law, since it's approved by the state PUC. Or maybe you agree to all the terms of the tariff as a condition of receiving service.

The phone company tariff might be a similar situation, with the PUC or the FCC approving. In either case, if you violate the tariff, they can cut off service. This happened to me around 1975 with an answering machine which didn't have a "network protection device," a few resistors in a little box which rented for $4.50/month and was said to make it less likely for you to electrocute neighbors and phone lineman.

I'm looking forward to a "Carterfone decision" that will allow us to backfeed without notification or permission. Large buildings do this already, when elevators go down.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Thanks for confirming the changes over the years. Anyone under 30 will probably be clueless and think its impossible. The phone cpompany threated to cut off our phone service because of the phone I put in grandmas bedroom. I pointed out she was ill they said ok remove the extra phone immediately, and we can inspect your premises at any time without notice.

We waited maybe 6 months removed the bell and they never bothered us again.

It wasnt about safety it was pure greed.

Reply to
hallerb

It is labeld NM 12/2 with ground and it is run underground (75 ft) without conduit. i would like to keep the light so will get a 220v light for it.

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Reply to
tim

No.

It's part of the electrical code. Here, it's also against the law to violate the electrical code.

It is perfectly legal to power your house off a generator, _provided_ you have the code-approved interconnects.

That was back in the days when the phone company was required by law to fix any problems with the phone in your home, because they (theoretically at least) owned all the wires and devices, and you were merely renting the equipment and service.

You can do that already, if you have the proper code-approved interconnect.

Reply to
Chris Lewis