Electrical Code Question (Canada)

Been reviewing electrical code in Canada, and can't find a definitive answer to my question.
I have a ceiling combination fan/light fixture in my upstairs lobby area. I want to know if I can split the hot in two and use 1 neutral?
My intent is to use the 1 circuit, branch to 2 light switches (fan / light). The setup is already there and am wondering if I can just pull an addittional hot.
Regards, JW
snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com says...

That's the way it is usually done (in the US at least). Fan manufacturers make double switches for just this purpose. We usually pull 3 conductor with ground for the circuit. Another, simpler option is to put in a wireless remote. The receiver goes in the fan itself and just needs one hot. The remote selects the fan on/off, speeds, light, etc. No need for another hot to be pulled.
Dennis
Justin West ( snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com) said...

Yes, but...

Is there conduit between the light fixture box and the switch? If so, there is likely plenty of room to pull another conductor.
I have done this once. It was in a highrise apartment, so conduit was in place. The run to the switch was a "switch loop", which means no neutral ran to the switch: just a live hot to the switch and a switched hot back to the light. Replacing the light with a fan/light, an additional switched hot was pulled and provided the switched power for the fan. The switch was replaced with a double switch that fits in a single location.
If you don't have conduit to pull through, you can't just pull a conductor on its own. If it is possible to pull a new Romex cable, then you can pull a 14/3 cable to replace the existing 14/2. The three conductors in the 14/3 all become hot: one is always live, one is light switched, and the other is fan switched. The white should be marked somehow (I usually use a black or blue permanent marker to colour an inch or two at the end).
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam