Electrical Code Question (Canada)

Been reviewing electrical code in Canada, and can't find a definitive answer to my question.

I have a ceiling combination fan/light fixture in my upstairs lobby area. I want to know if I can split the hot in two and use 1 neutral?

My intent is to use the 1 circuit, branch to 2 light switches (fan / light). The setup is already there and am wondering if I can just pull an addittional hot.

Regards, JW

Reply to
Justin West

That's the way it is usually done (in the US at least). Fan manufacturers make double switches for just this purpose. We usually pull 3 conductor with ground for the circuit. Another, simpler option is to put in a wireless remote. The receiver goes in the fan itself and just needs one hot. The remote selects the fan on/off, speeds, light, etc. No need for another hot to be pulled.

Dennis

Reply to
DT

Yes, but...

Is there conduit between the light fixture box and the switch? If so, there is likely plenty of room to pull another conductor.

I have done this once. It was in a highrise apartment, so conduit was in place. The run to the switch was a "switch loop", which means no neutral ran to the switch: just a live hot to the switch and a switched hot back to the light. Replacing the light with a fan/light, an additional switched hot was pulled and provided the switched power for the fan. The switch was replaced with a double switch that fits in a single location.

If you don't have conduit to pull through, you can't just pull a conductor on its own. If it is possible to pull a new Romex cable, then you can pull a 14/3 cable to replace the existing 14/2. The three conductors in the

14/3 all become hot: one is always live, one is light switched, and the other is fan switched. The white should be marked somehow (I usually use a black or blue permanent marker to colour an inch or two at the end).
Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam