Electrical code question...

If I understand the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical on a dedicated circuit. I have a situation where lights in my bathrooms also must be gfi protected. So I guess I'm just looking for an explanation of why this code of a dedicated circuit exists. My study of the code finds contradicting info due to lack of explanation.

Please advise & thanks for your time.

Reply to
wuwu77

It depends when the bathroom was wired, as to what code was in affect. Current and recent codes allow receptacles in all bathrooms to be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit and no other outlets can be on that circuit, or all lights , fans , outlets etc of one bathroom can be on a dedicated circuit

Reply to
RBM

You can put GFCI outlets anywhere you want. And you can have dedicated circuits without GFCIs.

You probably have something in mind; do you want to elaborate?

Reply to
Toller

the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical

For a particular case, I would like to feed a bathroom consisting of three lights, one exhaust fan and a basin receptical with a circuit protected by a GFI breaker. One of the recessed lights is in the shower, therefore requiring GFI protection. I'm looking for clear code instruction. Thanks for the posts.

Reply to
wuwu77

understand the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical

Greetings,

Consider using a GFI recept or blank face GFI recept instead of a GFI breaker (that way the trip switch can be located near the point of use and it is often cheaper to boot).

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Code allows to have everything in the bathroom on one circuit, but absolutely nothing outside that bathroom can be on also.

The light in my shower is not on a GFCI, and I don't see why it has to be. I bet you would get nuisance trips from it.

Reply to
Toller

understand the code correctly, there needs to be a gfi receptical

Per current code what you are planning sounds OK provided the circuit does not feed any outlets outside the bathroom. You may want to consider having at least one light in the bathroom fed from another source, if the GFCI trips you will be in darkness. BTW, Although a GFCI for the recessed lamp above the shower is a very good idea, I can find no code that requires it unless the listing instructions for the light require it. The lamp itself needs to be listed for damp locations unless it is subject to shower spray in which case it must be listed for wet locations.

Reply to
Eric9822