Electrical Code?

Was looking at Mom and Dad's new house under construction. The electrician has pulled all 12 gage romex to the breaker panel, and every one of these has been given its own 20 amp breaker. However, many of these 20-amp circuits have 14-gage branches for lighting, general outlets, etc. Is this allowed by code?

I see that he is using several Edison circuits too. The dishwasher and the refrigerator share one. The washing machine and Jaccuzzi share one. etc.

Reply to
Oscar_lives

Not allowed. See Art. 210-20

Allowed.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

If it isn't it should be detected when the local code official does one of the electrical inspections.

If not kosher, it will not pass the electrical inspection and the builder will not be able to get a CO for the house and your folks will not be able to take title.

Reply to
nospam

Are you in an area that doesn't normally require inspections? With some exceptions work in rural areas doesn't need to be inspected, for example. The actual owner can request an inspection anywhere in the state. You might contact your state electrical board to see what they say regarding inspections.

Good luck,

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Are you the owner of the nospam.com domain? If not, it is considered very poor netiquette to use another's domain name. Your e-mail address will be harvested and their server will have to now bounce back mail forever.

Don .

Reply to
Don Wiss

Are you the owner of the nospam.net domain? If not, it is considered very poor netiquette to use another's domain name. Your e-mail address will be harvested and their server will have to now bounce back mail forever.

Don .

Reply to
Don Wiss

Save your breath, Oscar_lives is a roaring, flaming asshole. He has no respect for himself, how would you expect him to respect the rights of others?

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Tommy, please do not discuss my asshole in public. I know you like to finger it and lick it.

Reply to
Oscar_lives

That works. My way is to insert an underscore. That is an invalid character for a domain name, and so impossible to be someone's real one.

Don .

Reply to
Don Wiss

Are you sure? Any electrical inspector wouldn't pass this, and I'm not sure that locally I could find an electrician's assistant on his first day that would do this. 12 gauge on 15 amp breakers with 14 gauge branches I can understand.

This is allowed, though your local inspector can determine if it's allowed in your jurisdiction.

If you have questions, raise them with the electrician, and if you don't feel comfortable, double check with the building official. It's your house.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran