Electrical box extension ring?

Page 2 of 2
krw,
Isn't this what you want?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Electrical-Box-Extender-BE1-2/202708650#.UX5rsUo8_Fw
It slips through the peg board and into the outlet box. The outlet or switch is wired up and is screwed through the extender and into the outlet box. The switch or outlet is now ready for a cover plate.
Dave M.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I don't know why you can't find them, Google shoves out all sorts of hits for "electrical box extender". Lowes has them, HD has them...plastic or metal, varying depths, prices from about a buck
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/29/2013 9:16 AM, dadiOH wrote:

There are many hits on Lowes for hardware items that don't actually exist on their website...I have searched their website after getting hits but don't find them on the website.
On 04/29/2013 09:33 AM, Norminn wrote:

Do you have a good electrical supply place nearby that's open during hours that you can visit? If you just stop by and explain what you need the way you did here you will probably get what you need right away and cheaper than through Lowe's.
They'll also have spec grade receps in contractor packs for cheaper than the builder grade ones at Lowe's.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I've seen them in the electrical dept of all the big-box stores in my area (suburban Chicago).
On Apr 28, 4:00 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Dunno why you would have problems finding them. I live in a small town of 2,000 pop and there are no less than 3 stores that either have them in stock or can order.
Harry K

If it were me, I'd just cut a hole in the pegboard to expose the outlet. You're not going to hang anything over the outlet anyway,
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Oh, oh!! Now he will start a thread about how to find a saw to cut the hole!
Harry K
On 05/01/2013 11:39 AM, Harry K wrote:

To be fair, I've commonly been frustrated with the Big Boxen because stuff that "they ought to have" or that their inventory may say they have just isn't there.
I ran into this over the weekend at a HD in MD... looking for some of the Philips LED bulbs, they weren't on the shelf, there was no space on the shelf for them, I called up a picture of what I was looking for on my phone and the associate (to her credit, very friendly and helpful) called another associate over because once she saw the pictures she remembered them being on a freestanding display that wasn't there anymore... anyhow, they were on a high shelf, not labeled, not priced... even if I'd wanted to get them myself and somehow located them I would have needed a ladder to get to them.
So really when you go to the store you need to be armed with an exact description of what you're looking for, and be prepared for disappointment if it's not in stock.
Often, a supply house or Dale Electric is a less frustrating solution.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It's hanging on the peg board, silly!

I really don't like that idea for a number of reasons. Stuff will fall down behind the pegboard. It's hard to make a decent cutout without some sort of edging. Without edging, the pegboard will chip. That's really an ugly solution. Raising the outlet covers is much better. Thinking about it more, I would *really* prefer the spacer type over the "adjustable" sleeve type.

My way, you got the outlet between the wall and the pegboard. Plugs will be hidden behind the pegboard with only the cords sticking out. Your way, the plugs will be outside the pegboard and in danger of being hit with tools that you are taking off and hanging back up. What do you expect will be falling into the small hole? Certainly not tools. Maybe some screws, nails, etc. Leave a gap at the bottom of the pegboard so that any small things that fall into the hole will fall out the bottom. That's just what I would do. YMMV
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Why not tools? I can imagine screwdrivers and saw blades falling in there. No thanks. Cords outside aren't an issue. They'll be outside anyway.

That precludes horizontal supports for the pegboard. No thanks.

Here you go! http://www.receptxtenders.com/products.htm Get a 1/2" one and a 3/8" one and you'll have 7/8" Krazy glue or epoxy the two together or use long screws.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 05/01/2013 06:45 PM, willshak wrote:

If you do it that way I would build a "box" of furring strips around each recep. At first I thought the idea was doglick but when you explain it that way it actually makes sense.
nate