Electrical box extension ring?

...or "mud ring".

Anyone have a good source for these things? I can't seem to find them anywhere. I found one online source but their order form doesn't work (and it's not clear they'll fit).

The basic problem: I want to attach pegboard to my shop wall. I want to use furring strips to mount the pegboard but I need to add 7/8" (5/8" furring strip + 1/4" pegboard) to the outlet and switch boxes to make them work right.

Reply to
krw

HD, Lowes has them.

Reply to
trader4

I didn't see any either in the stores or online. They had some that fit 4" J-boxes (to convert them for one or two outlets/switches or just to accommodate more wires) but nothing for outlet/switch "handy" boxes. I see them talked about in the various home repair sites but no source. This can't be a unique situation.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Search Lowes.com for these two item numbers and see if either one will work for you.

114592 31293
Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm not sure what you're after but Fastenal has some box extensions.

Dean Hoffman

No, those are intended to make a double-deep box so it can be stuffed with more wires, not to bring the face plate even with the wall. They're 2" deep and I need 7/8" (really, something that I can vary). The other issue is plastic vs. metal.

Reply to
krw

One of those is like the one Doug Miller pointed out at Lowes, intended to increase the capacity of a metal handy box. The others do the same for 4" J-boxes. I've seen those but that doesn't help. Thanks, though.

Reply to
krw

*Amazon sell the Arlington plastic extensions as well as others:
John Grabowski

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Best suggestion I have, in that case, is to go to an electrical supply house -- if what you want exists, they'll be able to get it for you.

Reply to
Doug Miller

-- if what you want

I've been looking for them recently, planning to put wainscoting in dining area...I'm sure the big-box stores have them, but I haven't confirmed that. My project is on hold in order to landscape and put in a garden, repair pond plumbing, blah, blah. Do a google on "electrical receptacle extender (or extension)". My local electrician said he had them, but was uncertain of the size. With all of the wainscoting and tiling that folks do, I would guess they are stocked lots of places, just not online much.

Reply to
Norminn

krw,

Isn't this what you want?

It slips through the peg board and into the outlet box. The outlet or switch is wired up and is screwed through the extender and into the outlet box. The switch or outlet is now ready for a cover plate.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I don't know why you can't find them, Google shoves out all sorts of hits for "electrical box extender". Lowes has them, HD has them...plastic or metal, varying depths, prices from about a buck

Reply to
dadiOH

There are many hits on Lowes for hardware items that don't actually exist on their website...I have searched their website after getting hits but don't find them on the website.

Reply to
Norminn

I've seen them in the electrical dept of all the big-box stores in my area (suburban Chicago).

Reply to
hrhofmann

-- if what you want

You'd better check before you finish planning your work. They are

*NOT* available in the big box stores. I've looked in dozens of them (been planning this for some time)as well as their online sites. I'll try a couple of electrical supply houses, if they'll deal with the general public. Most won't.
Reply to
krw

Great! Thanks! I don't know how I missed them yesterday. I searched with exactly the words you used.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

[...]

Try Dale Electric:

Here in Indianapolis, for stuff I can't get at the big-box stores, I usually go to Allied Wholesale Electrical Supply

-- they sell online as well, and don't mind dealing with the general public, your money is as green there as anybody else's.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Do you have a good electrical supply place nearby that's open during hours that you can visit? If you just stop by and explain what you need the way you did here you will probably get what you need right away and cheaper than through Lowe's.

They'll also have spec grade receps in contractor packs for cheaper than the builder grade ones at Lowe's.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

-- if what you want

I've searched several Borgs, for hours. After all of you telling me that I'm blind, I stopped by the Borg (needed some 2x6s to replace some support walls downstairs) and searched until I found them. They were in a box in a corner up high. I would never have found them if I hadn't *known* they were there.

I ordered them from Amazon, anyway. I need a bunch of them and Amazon is a *lot* cheaper.

Thanks all!

Reply to
krw

Thanks. Bookmarked.