electrical box extension

due to redesign of wall materials the boxes are not flush with the wall. Now some boxes are as much as a half inch behind the wall. So we need electrical extension boxes.

Are they adjustable? And where can one order them online?

TIA

Reply to
oreo123

Why dont you shim the outlet to the correct height. I used some small beads to do it in my kitchen.

Reply to
Kathy

Now no mater 1/2 inch is too much. Also, depending on the walls material there are different depths.

per 2002 NEC 314.20, to summerize: depth in noncombustible material is allowed up to 1/4 inch. Also, depth in combustible matrial is 0, must be flush with surface of the wall.

Since you had work done, make sure 2002 NEC 314.21 isn't violated, summary no larger than 1/8 inch gaps around boxes.

There are sum that act like sleeves incide the box so you can slide them out and in to desired depth. At hd they have many box extention rings of different sizes.

Hope this helps, and what I said about the code, you should read directly for gettting the best accurate information.

later,

tom @

tom

Kathy Shimming the receptacle out to the surface of the wall does nothing to restore the integrity of the box so it will contain any sparks or arc flash to the interior of the box. In order to do that you have to install metal or plastic box extenders that bring the front edge of the box back out to the face of the plaster. The code requires that boxes in combustible wall finishes must be flush with the surface or protrude from it. Boxes in non combustible surfaces may be recessed no more than one eighth of an inch.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Dep