Electrical : 3 way --> Single Pole (Light Switch)

I've replaced some old switches. However, after replacing one switch for the basement staircase (originally 3 way switch with common written on the back) ... I replaced it with a new single pole switch.
- 3 wires originally (2 on top) (1 on bottom) - now the switch has become a master
How do I fix this problem ? Do I need to go out and buy a 3 way switch ? Or can I can I somehow rewire the single pole to accomodate the old 3 way switch ?
Thanks in Advance, AC
you were misbehaving when you didn't spend the big bucks on quantity two lighted handle 3-way switches. go make it right. when you replace them both you will still be able to find them in the dark.

Why?
Entirely predicable. If you can't figure out why, you have no business doing your own wiring.

By putting the right switch in. Duh.

Yes. Duh.

That is *obviously* impossible. Think about it. If it were possible to rewire a single pole switch to perform the same function as a 3-way switch... what would be the purpose in having 3-way switches?
--
Regards,
AC wrote:

If you want both switches to work as three way switches you need two three way switches.
If you only want one switch to control the lights, that is possible and you don't need any three way switches, but you will need to do some re-wiring. Since how to re-wire depends on how they are not wired, I can't offer directions and I strongly suggest you don't try to guess.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Now if you're at the bottom of your staircase with no lights on (whatever the reason) you have to walk up the stairs to turn the lights on (or vice-versa). Am I correct?
Generally people need to have a means to illuminate their immediate area rather than go stumbling around in the dark to find a switch. This is the reason for three-way (and four-way) switches. They are installed to have a means to turn the lights on in a space with more than one entrance. They also can typically be found at the tops and bottoms of staircases for the same reason, as you can see.
Or if your dwelling is really older than maybe you should consider intalling them in this manner.

If you could use single pole switches to replace 3 way, why would they make 3 way?

I had pretty much the same situation once. I had a Chevy Corvette with 389 cubic inch engine that red-lined at 3200 rpm, and would go about 85mph in 3rd, let alone what it would do in fourth.
I took out the V-8 engine and replaced it with a Briggs and Stratton 3.5 HP engine. Then all I had to do was modify the Briggs engine installation so I could go 55MPH in the Corvette.
And that wasn't as difficult as it might sound to some of the sourpusses here.
All I had to do was take out the B&S engine and replace it with a 389 cubic inch V-8. The whole thing only took 2 days.
Replaced with two 3-way switches, and it works perfectly. Thanks for the help. Sorry for the amateur question, but I guess this is how you learn.
I'm hiring an electrician to complete the wall outlets as this is all beyond my scope.
AC