electric wire short on my Lawnmower

Could u elaborate on that statement? Its confusing to this novice. It is not the 25' wire that is plugged into the outlet and the mower that is at fault its the wire on the mower from the motor to the switch. How does one add wire to that? And what does this have to do with the length?

Reply to
Anthony

I am guessing that this is an electric start lwnmower. You did not specifically say, also a make and model ID would have reduced some of the guessing that your poor ID has caused. If it is electric start, you seem to be saying that when you push or turn the start switch, that the electic motor that turns the gas motor does not operate. Can you confirm this, also is it a push or a turn switch?? Then we can go from that pont. But you must learn to be much more specific if you want a rational answer posted here.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I think Tony was poking fun . Perhaps what he meant was to look into replacing the piece of wire involved, it can't be very long on a mower.

Reply to
DanG

I know how you feel but I've had some $4 ones for years, used them for hundreds of measurements. One function doesn't work in one of them, but I burned it out myself. Had it set on 20 VDC and put it on

110vac. I"ve ruined a couple other functions in more expensive meters over the last 45 years.

I'm no fan of China, but online made an outrageous claim.

Reply to
mm

LOL. Sorry, I was being half truthful and half sarcastic. To the novice an actual broken wire that isn't completing the circuit is called a "short". But in real life it isn't a short, it's an "open". If it had a short it would be sparking and popping circuit breakers. Actually now knowing it's an electric lawn mower "the 25' wire that is plugged into the outlet and the mower" is what tipped me off, an open, or break in the wire could also spark as it touches intermittently but it's doubtful it would trip a circuit breaker. And the length, just part of a dumb joke were the customer tells the electrician "if it's just a short, why don't you lengthen it"?

But the good part is that you gave some more information, I hope I'm not the only person who thought the mower was gasoline powered engine and the wire in question is one that often shorts out the magneto to stop the spark plug from sparking.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I bet it's a loose disconnection.

Jeff