Electric water heater problem?????

Page 2 of 2
Damn! Let us know what you find out. I'm curious as hell now!!
(Ghosts in the machine)

The electricity needs to make a complete circuit. Something is blocking the flow of electric.
If I was there at the job site, I'd want to turn off the power. Disconnect both leads from the elements. Ohm them out, and see if they are near zero ohms. With the elements disconnected, turn the power back on and check to see if the wires going to the elements have 220 volts. Yeah, I know, that's dangerous. Exposed wires with electric in them.
Been a while since I worked on electric WH, but there is a switch of sorts, which controls which element gets power. That's at the top element. The bottom element comes on, when the top thermostat shows enough temperature.
I suspect a bad thermostat.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus