electric water heater, finished repair but....

So I replaced the bottom element in a State Censible 40 gal electric water heater. Everything went well except for the part where the cutoff valve to the heater broke. I can't turn off the water to the heater anymore, but since I want it on now, I'm not going to worry too much about it, unless that is my new problem :)
Everything is put back together and turned back on, but no water is coming out of the hot water taps in the house. What did I forget?
The tank definitely filled back up, I opened the drain and there is water in there, it isn't making anymore water going into the tank sounds.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Phillip

broken valve? no water? Gosh, that's a puzzler all right.

You said the tank filled up, but was the valve still "on" (open) when it broke? If there is not incoming water pressure, you aren't going to get anything out of the tank...

OR
(don't laugh AND I'm not saying anything, but)
did you take the plugs out of both the inlet and the outlet when you connected the pipes?
This is a stretch, but if you used a ton of solder, you could've filled up the copper outlet pipe. But, like I said, this is a stretch.