Electric vs propane

Page 3 of 6
message

You like 293 x .0656 = $19.22 better? :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

If it is around the house and you want to get rid of it or don't value your time you are ok. I got lots of free wood and did not have to go too far for it. Being retired it gave me something to do with my free time. I don't burn very much either. Maybe about a stack 4 feet high, 4 feet deep and 10 feet long. I mostly like to keep some around incase the power goes out.
While working I liked what one fellow told me. It was a lot easier for him to sit at his job for about 8 hours overtime a month than it was for him to cut the wood.
Another had to figure in all the doctor bills when his back went out.
On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:51:25 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

I tend to agree. On a slightly different topic, I get a kick out of people buying those little bundles of a few pieces of wood for $10 that you see at supermarkets, hardware stores, etc. It's a convenience thing, so I guess if you need a fireplace going tonight for enjoyment and don't have any wood, it's OK. But another aspect of that is most people think they are also getting some heat for the house from it. The typical wood burning fireplace installed in a builders house today doesn't heat the house much. It's not designed to heat, so the vast majority of the heat goes up the chimney. At the same time, air has to come into the house to replace what's going up the chimney, so cold outside air comes in and if the fireplace isn't one that pulls that from the outside, then it comes in from air leakage in the rest of the house. Meaning depending on what kind of fireplace you have, you could be increasing your furnace usage. So, while thinking you're saving some bucks, you could be actuall spending more.

I bought two packs last summer to take to camp. Most of the wood at camp was damp or wet. As I found, the two packs were almost as worthless, they were damp too. Inside that plastic wrap.
Greg
On 2/19/2014 5:51 PM, bob haller wrote:

I did not mind doing that for a number of years when I was yhounger. It was good exercise, cheaper than any gym membership. At some point though, I found that pushing the buttons on a thermostat and writing a check to the oil man was easier. I've not burned wood for at least 10 years now.
On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:53:09 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

er. However, I lease my tank from Southern States and they come unannounced to fill it up. I had it filled up in October, I think that bill was 600 bu cks. In January they came again. That was 741 bucks. I just had a bill left on my door where they came the other day and the bill was another 700 buck s. On the last bill it showed propane is 3.30 a gallon I believe.

th charge plus the rate is .06560 during the winter. I am not sure how to c ompare these two, but I am assuming electricity is cheaper in the long run?

er. And I do use a lot of hot water with two girls in the house and I will admit I love my showers. But I have only a 1500 square foot house. It was b uilt in the mid 90's and everything is insulated as well as I can. (Althoug h my walls are only 2x4).

ing to convince my wife to let me install a wood burning fireplace with a w ater heater option. (I actually found a company that sells a fire place tha t is a wood burning furnace)

f due to installation costs. I have 5 acres which is plenty room for the fi eld lines. However, in my area there are very few basements. (I only have a crawl space). I am not sure if one of those can be installed in a crawl sp ace or not.

can choose which one to utilize based on the rate because things vary so w idely. Maybe if I were to install an electric furnace somehow still keeping the propane furnace under the house where I could easily switch from one t o another.

Can you get budget billing on the propane? We did that with our fuel oil an d pay an average monthly rate all year, based on our usage the prior year, and settling any overage or underage in August. It takes the shock out of t hose enormous bills when they fill the tank twice in a month.
Paul

My brother claims he saves a lot by using electric vs oil. He only uses it on bottom floor, but is still over 1000 sq ft.
It's becoming scary. Local news reports IDT raising rates, like triple for electric generation. How many more will be doing the same. Peoples bills have doubled.
http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/skyrocketing-electric-bills-channel-11-investigate/ndWcX/
Greg
On Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:51:06 PM UTC-5, Gz wrote:

There's something I can't figure out. There are heat pumps today that have COP of 2 or better down into the teens, single digits even. Yet the reports of real world results, they don't seem to pan out, with a typical excuse being:
Control system cuts it over to full alternate source, eg electric at 30F. Why would you do that if the heat pump is still 2X+ more cost effective at delivering heat than just resistance heat? The control system part is trivial.
It seems to me that something weird is going on. It's like they misunderstand the balance point concept. Balance point, as I understand it, is the temp point below which the heat pump can't supply the total heat required, not where it's no longer functional, more efficient than resistance heat, etc. So, for a case like the OP, I would think a heat pump would be ideal. Get one sized so that above say 25F it can supply all the heat. Below that, it still runs, generating heat less than it would cost with just electric, but it's supplemented by resistance heat.
Another aspect seems to be that there is a sizing issue, ie the size of a heat pump to supply all the heat at 20F means you have a unit that's not properly sized for summer. But they have two stage HP's, so what's up with that? Run it a high stage for heat, and in the summer high stage if quick cooling is needed, low stage otherwise.
[...]

one reason you are maybe having lower electric bills is that heat is usuall y the main factor in home bills i had electric base board in me country home till recently then to save mone i changed to the modern baseboard heaters with the oil in them i saved money but its still very expensive even tho i went from using a 22 0 volt down to 120 volt & still never seemed to keep the house warm im remodeling my house now & have decided to try the radiant floor heat they say it can save up to 30%or 40% according to whos writing the info not sure yet but i have been studying it a lot & for a nominal fee i can d o all the work myself to install it im doing mine under the hardwood & hopefully that will help heat with the bills too im going to use a propane gas boiler or a higher btu rated hot water heate r than just a regular hot water heater im sure that later on theyll figure out a way to raise the bills in any ci rcumstance but my taking the kids home for a long 3 day weekend & us spendi ng a day & night at my moms & still having a $276 electric bill for our ple asure of keeping the heat low cause of trouble in the past with the electri c bills just didnt seem to make a lot of sense to me my mom has propane & she runs it sky high with the heat all year long & pays out over $300 a month all the time id hate it but id never keep it that high either hers stays in the 80s in side still thats just a fraction of what mine would have been had i chosen not to change it my insulation has always been pretty good too even added new windows downstairs after we got those kind of bills just go online & find out bout as many options as you can nephew has the geothermal they love it but its over $30, 000 to install maybe bout half if you do it yourself the lines from outside come up to the side of the house then into the basem ent if youve only a crawl space then possibly you can do that but use the new spray foam insulation to seal it up good but like every thing be sure to ask around about it hope it works out for you i hate to pay out a lot of money
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

This past week I pain $5.10 a gallon for a 70 gal. fill-up. $400 with tax and other charges.
Made me think of changing my cooking range and water heater to electric. Gets rid of propane tank rent too. Not sure it would pay off in my remaining years though, if it even was cheaper.

On 2/25/2014 12:22 PM, KenK wrote:

Especially if the jump in propane prices is, as expected, temporary. Come the end of this long winter, prices will probably go back down again. Assuming the weather next winter goes back to normal, too, odds are there won't be this level of sticker shock for filling the propane tank next autumn.
On 2/25/2014 1:22 PM, KenK wrote:

The advantage of propane, it's energy onsite. When the ice storm pulls down the power wires, your propane still works, till it runs out.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/25/2014 3:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Absolutely. The only thing lost is the oven, but we don't stop cooking for power failures. With city water, life goes on.
On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:13:03 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :
:

ater. However, I lease my tank from Southern States and they come unannounc ed to fill it up. I had it filled up in October, I think that bill was 600 bucks. In January they came again. That was 741 bucks. I just had a bill le ft on my door where they came the other day and the bill was another 700 bu cks. On the last bill it showed propane is 3.30 a gallon I believe.

onth charge plus the rate is .06560 during the winter. I am not sure how to compare these two, but I am assuming electricity is cheaper in the long ru n?

nter. And I do use a lot of hot water with two girls in the house and I wil l admit I love my showers. But I have only a 1500 square foot house. It was built in the mid 90's and everything is insulated as well as I can. (Altho ugh my walls are only 2x4).

rying to convince my wife to let me install a wood burning fireplace with a water heater option. (I actually found a company that sells a fire place t hat is a wood burning furnace)

elf due to installation costs. I have 5 acres which is plenty room for the field lines. However, in my area there are very few basements. (I only have a crawl space). I am not sure if one of those can be installed in a crawl space or not.

I can choose which one to utilize based on the rate because things vary so widely. Maybe if I were to install an electric furnace somehow still keepi ng the propane furnace under the house where I could easily switch from one to another.

lly the main factor in home bills

in them

220 volt down to 120 volt

do all the work myself to install it

e bills too

ter than just a regular hot water heater

circumstance but my taking the kids home for a long 3 day weekend & us spen ding a day & night at my moms & still having a $276 electric bill for our p leasure of keeping the heat low cause of trouble in the past with the elect ric bills just didnt seem to make a lot of sense to me

inside

t to change it

ement

w spray foam insulation to seal it up good

idiot troll
On 2/25/2014 4:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:
.
.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

..

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

full quoter
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/25/2014 06:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

ROFLMAO! Good one, Stormy!
On 2/25/2014 6:41 PM, 0ren wrote:

And you're a full quoter, too, Oren.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/25/2014 06:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is this better? ;-)
On 2/25/2014 8:27 PM, 0ren wrote:

Yes, much. Didn't know anyone out there knew how / was willing to trim text. And leave enough to be relevant. Question to go with the answer.
--
.
Christopher A. Young