Electric valve recomendation

Here is the deal; I have a large centrifugal water filter (Lakos) which requires an occasional purge. I've rigged up a 1" lawn sprinkler valve and an electronic lawn sprinkler timer, which works well, except, since I am flushing chunks the filter separated from the water, the valve frequently won't shut off due to chunks sticking in the diaphragm. I'm thinking electric ball valve, but those seem prohibitively expensive. Any thoughts on a 24v spring return normally closed valve that can handle chunks and won't break the bank? Is there an orientation of the existing valve that would make it more jam resistant?