Electric tankless water heaters

As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric, tankless water heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single faucet and a diswahser. I would apprecaite reccomendations as to which brands I should consider, and which ones I should avoid.

TIA Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

The main concern with electric tankless is whether they'll supply enough hot water. Most of them will support a washing machine, a dishwasher, or a shower, but only one at a time. If you have teenagers, get one for each bathroom. You also might have to upgrade your electrical supply.

Carefully calculate your hot water supply needs, then compare the GPM each brand supplies at the temperature you require.

Reply to
SteveBell

SteveBell wrote: Steve, Thanks for your reply. We are a retired couple that uses hot water conservatively. We have a 200 amp service and I am a retired electrician. Our current water heater is propane fired and tankless, but it is at the far end of the house from the kitchen. So I'm looking for an electric heater to supply the kitchen sink and dishwasher only. My original post was more to seek recomendations as to quality of the various brands.

Thanks, Kevin.

Reply to
Kevin

They are all good. The question is how large a one do you need. You will need an electrician to install it as an added cost. You may even need your electrical service upgraded depending on how big a one you need. That's why some people go with propane or natural gas tankless heaters.

I have small 25 amp tankless heaters under my bath room and kitchen and they work great even for shower. But I'm a low flow user. Also saved

100kwh a month buy shutting off my oil fired boiler, not to mention saved oil. I had to run new wiring for them too.
Reply to
Claude Hopper

My one caveat with electric water heaters is loss of power. When hurricanes or storms knock out power for a week bathing in cold water is very uncomfortable.

Reply to
badgolferman

You bathe in your kitchen a lot?

Reply to
trader4

depends on lowest incoming water temperature in winter, and how many other electric uses you have.

you might use a kitchen tankless as a booster, from propane heater at other end of home.

electric likely costs more than propane

Reply to
hallerb

He's just using it in the kitchen.

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

You bathe in your kitchen a lot?

=======================

I'm getting that a lot of people aren't reading the whole post. :-) That's why I always keep my posts real short.

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

I was commenting on electric water heaters in general.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yeah...that's right. ;-)

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Go with a name brand like Rheem, Bosch, etc with a good warranty, Ive seen posts on off brand issues. For just a kitchen something real small will work, does the dishwasher have a preheater, many do. I think Bosch is 120a, maybe to big for a kitchen.

Reply to
ransley

Well, when the kids are away for the weekend, my wife and I ........................

Reply to
SteveB

With pilot lights outlawed, (at least in California), on new heaters, that is the problem with all heaters. We are rarely out of power, and usually only for a few hours.

Kev> My one caveat with electric water heaters is loss of power. When

Reply to
Kevin

My Ng Bosch is D cell battery Piezo ignition, some are mini hydro gen ignition.

Reply to
ransley

But gee ransley. Remember your posts? Nobody uses electric tankless water heaters. They take too much electric. And you are talking of a 120a heater for a kitchen?? You out of your mind or what? Oh, that's right. You are mindless and dinwitted. Your constant posts prove it. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Avoid them all unless you live in arizona. You'll never get enough real hot water out of them.

Steve Barker DLT

AMEN brother. that's why i filtered that asshole out over 6 months ago.

Steve Barker DLT

my new dishwasher a whirlpool heats water. but thye cycle time tripled. and went back to normal when I increased water heater hot water temperature.

my old bopsch heated water fast, but in 3 years broke 4 times.

it was the best cleaninmg dishwasher I ever owned, and also the most unreliable and worse hard to service.

it got put in the trash, deservedly

but dont assume a dishwasher will heatr water well

Reply to
hallerb

He curls up in the dish rack.

Reply to