Electric tankless water heaters

Page 1 of 2
As part of a remodel, I am planing on installing an electric, tankless water heater to supply just our kitchen which has a single faucet and a diswahser. I would apprecaite reccomendations as to which brands I should consider, and which ones I should avoid.
TIA Kevin
Kevin wrote:

The main concern with electric tankless is whether they'll supply enough hot water. Most of them will support a washing machine, a dishwasher, or a shower, but only one at a time. If you have teenagers, get one for each bathroom. You also might have to upgrade your electrical supply.
Carefully calculate your hot water supply needs, then compare the GPM each brand supplies at the temperature you require.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I understand that.
"Seems to me" that if your have "regular" and conservative habbits you would be about as well off with a small "tank" style electric water heater. The small ones have a capacity of a few gallons and a quite good recovery rate. They will run off a 20 amp breaker and #12 wire. Perfect for a sink and a dishwasher. Buy on price.

He's just using it in the kitchen.
Olddog
Kevin wrote:

They are all good. The question is how large a one do you need. You will need an electrician to install it as an added cost. You may even need your electrical service upgraded depending on how big a one you need. That's why some people go with propane or natural gas tankless heaters.
I have small 25 amp tankless heaters under my bath room and kitchen and they work great even for shower. But I'm a low flow user. Also saved 100kwh a month buy shutting off my oil fired boiler, not to mention saved oil. I had to run new wiring for them too.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
Kevin wrote:

My one caveat with electric water heaters is loss of power. When hurricanes or storms knock out power for a week bathing in cold water is very uncomfortable.

You bathe in your kitchen a lot?
depends on lowest incoming water temperature in winter, and how many other electric uses you have.
you might use a kitchen tankless as a booster, from propane heater at other end of home.
electric likely costs more than propane
I was just about to write that. Leave the propane tank supplying the kitchen. But, put the electric tankless in the hot water line. That should give you instant hot water for start up, and also the advantage of propane heat for bigger uses of hot water.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You bathe in your kitchen a lot?
====================== I'm getting that a lot of people aren't reading the whole post. :-) That's why I always keep my posts real short.
Olddog

Well, when the kids are away for the weekend, my wife and I ........................

I was commenting on electric water heaters in general.

Yeah...that's right. ;-)
Olddog
He curls up in the dish rack.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My Ng Bosch is D cell battery Piezo ignition, some are mini hydro gen ignition.
When pilot lights are outlawed, only outlaws will have pilot lights.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Go with a name brand like Rheem, Bosch, etc with a good warranty, Ive seen posts on off brand issues. For just a kitchen something real small will work, does the dishwasher have a preheater, many do. I think Bosch is 120a, maybe to big for a kitchen.
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 07:16:15 -0800 (PST), ransley

But gee ransley. Remember your posts? Nobody uses electric tankless water heaters. They take too much electric. And you are talking of a 120a heater for a kitchen?? You out of your mind or what? Oh, that's right. You are mindless and dinwitted. Your constant posts prove it. Bubba