electric stove top questions

So we are considering replacing an approximately 40 year old Whirlpool electric stovetop. All I know about the wiring is that it is 220, 2x30 circuit breakers. I don't know what type of wiring. The problem is that most of the stoves I see today are 240/40 amp. I hate to think that I have to have the breakers and wiring upgraded just to replace the stovetop.

I did just find some GE stovetops that are listed as 220/30 AND 240/40 amp. I am wondering if this would work given the existing wiring and breakers?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Bierman

Comment 1: I don't know what "220V/30A AND 240V/40A" implies -- would have to see specifically what the manufacturer's wiring recommendation/requirement is. Posting a link to the unit in question would undoubtedly help.

Comment 2: From here I can't tell any about the wiring other than it has a 30A breaker. Open the box and see what the wire that was run for the circuit is and post back that information.

Reply to
dpb

Typically in the U.S., residential services are 120/240 volt, so you need to see what the cooktop's rating is at the voltage you have, and also, as was indicated by dpb, you may already have a forty amp feed to the thing

Reply to
RBM

Here are 3 examples of what I was referring to. (linked to the GE site)

Actually, there are 2 120V lines that are combined and dedicated to the cook top. Can you give me more of a clue what information you are looking for? Gage? The wiring is old so I don't know if it will be readable but I will try to check it out.

Thanks so much!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Bierman

I think the stove says "120/220, 60 cycles" but it is hard to read the label. It doesn't mention the amp rating on the old stove.

I'm guessing not since the breakers for the cook top (two 120 breakers) are marked "30". That's why I'm concerned about finding a cooktop that will work. I'd like to avoid having to rewire to 40 amp if I can. Assuming I do have to though, anyone know the relative cost of doing that compared to running a gas line? For all purposes the distance for gas and the electric are equal and there is a crawl space which should make it a lot easier to do either.

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Bierman

you will need to rewire, not only to go fropm 30 to 40 amps but no doubt 3 wire to 4 wire adding a dedicated ground.....

not a biggie get bat least 3 on site qutes from electricians.

do note what breaker cabinet you have, if its old and out of production breakers may be expensive or hard to find.

Reply to
hallerb

Try to have someone determine the gauge of the wires feeding the unit, and if they are copper or aluminum. This will confirm the largest size breaker that can be protecting the circuit. I can't imagine you not being able to find a unit that operates on thirty amps.

Reply to
RBM

Thank you all for your help!

Can anyone comment on what the expected costs of rewiring for 40 amps relative to running a gas line would be? All things being equal, we're probably better off going with gas for the cook top anyway. For all purposes the distance for gas and the electric are equal and there is a crawl space which should make it a lot easier to do either.

Michael

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Michael Bierman