Electric Step Ladder wont lift me

I bought an antique electric step ladder at an antique store. The cord was frayed and I could see bare copper right where the cord entered the wooden leg of the ladder. I cut the cord off right at that point, taped the old wires well, and soldered the new cord on to the old wires and taped them real well.
When I plug it in, I can see that the LED pilot light lights up, and I think I can hear a slight hum if I listen real closely, but ladder will not lift me. I thought it was my weight, since I weigh over 300lbs, and my wife is heavier that me, so I put the dog on the ladder and it still would not lift him, and he is only about 50lbs.
I even pushed the release button on the paint can shelf, expecting it to automatically open, and it did nothing. This is very disappointing, because I paid good money for this thing.
Any ideas?
Harold
Subject: Electric Step Ladder wont lift me Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
You and your fat-ass dog go on a diet.
--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

I've probably fixed about a dozen of these this week alone; it is always the PWM driver output. Replace Q6 and Q7.
Here's a perfromance tip: as these were built for generally shorter people, short R27 if you want to get a bit more height out of it.
It ought to lift you AND the bitch no problem!

That's true, but you need to replace the driver power resistors too. Each 4.7 ohm on the emitter leg needs to be replaced with 5 watt resistors or you will eventually burn the new drivers.
PJ

Anyone not replacing the entire output complement would be a hack. This isn't a no risk job like using superglue on a gas furnace; the consequences of not doing this job right is FAT PEOPLE would have to CLIMB DOWN a LADDER! So you can see the importance of this job. Of course the drivers and emitter resistors should be replaced, and only with a high quality matched hFE set. Good point though.

All good advise, but the real problem is the proprietary chip is shot. I happen to have all the remaining (unmarked) chips but I will sell you one for $19.99 delivered, unconditionally guaranteed for 25 hours after postmark.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:04:51 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@a.o.l.com wrote:

Yes Get A LIFE LAMER!!!!!

snipped-for-privacy@a.o.l.com wrote:

When I plug it in, I can see that the LED pilot light lights up, ...

Any good troll would not combine antique and LED in the same foolish message.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

That's exactly what occured to me too!........Ross

Maybe the police department is looking for detectives!
Sam O'Nella wrote:

Yea, I would be great at catching those guys who use the back of a letter with their address on it for a bank hold up message. :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
A man, wanting to rob a downtown Bank of America, walked into the branch and wrote "this iz a stikkup. Put all your muny in this bag." While standing in line, waiting to give his note to the teller, he began to worry that someone had seen him write the note and might call the police before he reached the teller's window. So he left the Bank of America and crossed the street to Wells Fargo. After waiting a few minutes in line, he handed his note to the Wells Fargo teller. She read it and, surmising from his spelling errors that he wasn't the brightest light in the harbor, told him that she could not accept his stickup note because it was written on a Bank of America deposit slip and that he would either have to fill out a Wells Fargo deposit slip or go back to Bank of America.
Looking somewhat defeated, the man said, "OK" and left. He was arrested a few minutes later, as he was waiting in line back at Bank of America.
Subject: Re: Electric Step Ladder wont lift me Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Matt <= wrote:>

Is that the same guy who walked into the bank and said; "FREEZE mother stickers, this is a f**K-up!"?
--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Why? Lots of antique stuff had light-emitting diodes in it. Of course, they called them "tubes" back then.
--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005

Digital Nixie tube readouts with colored plastic to hide the eight segment wire display!!.......Ross
I've got a bunch of nixie tubes I bought on ebay. Was gonna make a clock, never did.

If you got em from Ebay they wont work anyhow !
its probably somethin real simple. wood got wet and warped a little maybe, spray it with wd40 to disperse the moisture and if that doesn't unwarp it grease the zerks real good.

Its probably a 220or 440v unit, try 440 first