Electric space heater repair question

Page 1 of 3
I had a $20 space heater fail after about 4.5 yrs of use. It looks the nichrome filament burned through near a crimp fastener (below is a pic).
Is there any cheap easy method of repairing this, without it winding up burning down the house?
Thanks
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126231755@N06/?deleted 666684223

DaveT-
Did the wire break, or did it just pull out of the crimp? It may have just been poorly attached. If you can poke it back where it came from, you can crimp it more tightly.
From the photo, it is not clear how it was crimped before. There may be a metal sleeve that was placed over the joint and crimped. If the filament broke, it may be best to replace the old sleeve and re-crimp.
As far as burning down the house, check to see that there are no other points where the filament might be short circuited to itself. If part of it shorted out, that would explain why it would burn through.
Fred
On 11/23/2014 11:29 AM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

It didn't pull out, it burned out leaving a stub of wire in the crimp fastener. It was glowing orange right at that point in the weeks leading up to the failure.
It may have

Yeah, that's the way it was fastened.
If the

A twenty-dollar space heater is a disposable item. Why are you even considering repairing it? Is your time worth nothing?
On 11/23/2014 11:45 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

It's stupid to throw things away that can be repaired easily and safely.
That's why I'm asking about it.
On 11/23/2014 3:04 PM, DaveT wrote:

I'd invest in a ceramic heater. That said, it sure looks like the wire wasn't crimped into the terminal end. I'd slide the wire in, crush the terminal with small vise grips, and increase my fire insurance and put a new battery in the smoke detector.
On 11/23/2014 3:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I did exactly that type of crimp repair about 10 years ago on a space heater that was already about 10 years old. Haven't had the slightest problem with it since.
To those who commented on why someone would waste their time trying to repair such an inexpensive item, I offer the following comments: 1. For some people, $25 (or is it now about $35?) to replace a broken item is real money. 2. Some people enjoy fixing things, or at least trying to fix them. It is a form of entertainment and is done in time that otherwise would be used for other forms of entertainment that might cost much more. 3. Some of us are retired and have almost unlimited time with no opportunity cost for puttering about, doing what we want after decades of having to please parents, teachers, bosses, etc. etc.
On 11/24/2014 09:50 AM, Peter wrote:

Point 3
On 11/23/2014 12:37 PM, DaveT wrote:

When talking about risk of burning down the house,now is not time to get cheap.
The ceramic "black box" heaters are safer.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/23/2014 11:37 AM, DaveT wrote:

Although I also agree that it's good to fix things rather than throw out... I will save you the trouble.
I tried repairing a heating device similar to yours by cleaning the connections very well and tightly crimping on an uninsulated butt connector. It went bad again within a few weeks.
For $20 you got your money's worth by now.... toss it.

repairing it?

It's even more stupid to spend more than about an hour of your time trying to fix something that you can replace for twenty bucks.
And you've already used up ten or fifteen minutes of that hour, writing your post and reading the responses.
On 11/23/2014 1:32 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

It's stupid to post that it's not worthwhile to inquire about repairing something, in a forum where everybody is looking for information on repairing things.
That's stupid.
On 11/23/2014 3:49 PM, DaveT wrote:

It's stupid to rebuke someone about a stupid post which says that it's stupid to try to bring the group on topic, because of the stupid replies to the stupid original post. Got it, Stupid?
--
.
Stupid Moron
On 11/23/2014 6:53 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's stupid to be stupid.
On 11/23/2014 4:53 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now that is totally stupid. Got it, stupid?

On 11/23/2014 02:49 PM, DaveT wrote:

At least no one here was dumb enough to suggest you solder it!
It looks as if it burnt off right at the connector. They make some crimp lugs that are rated for the high temperatuers. Not sure where you can buy them. You should be able to streach the wire the inch or so you need . Years ago I tried that with some standard crimp connectors near the middle of the wires. They only lasted for a short time as the connectors were not rated for the high heat.
Here is one place that list them for $ 1.24 each. Not sure if you can get just one mailed cheep or not.
http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/134736?gdftrk=gdfV25445_a_7c1847_a_7c7081_a_7c134736&gclid=CjwKEAiAqMajBRCdjejki6yjuDwSJACQeVukDbVZTJJy_caKVUdPmMRBbzq6rGlNNCW1w3ZzJG8AOxoCxW7w_wcB
On 11/23/2014 1:34 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Thanks, it's probably not worth the trouble. Lowes and HD have plenty of connectors, but none described as high temperature. Amazon has high temperature connectors but price and s/h makes it not worthwhile.
I thought it might be a common problem w/ a common solution.

On 11/23/2014 3:45 PM, DaveT wrote:

It is and there is. Need anything else from Amazon? That way the shipping is reasonable or free. The right connector is the key to a good fix.
An alternative is to send it to the factory in China for their technician to do the repair. Cost is 80 cents US plus shipping.
On 11/23/2014 03:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The nickel crimp connector is kind of pricey and would not be worth it to purchase for a $20 heater... but I have ordered stuff direct from China before.
Might have mentioned here before but:
I needed some spare CMOS batteries for the computer work I'm always doing. Figured they be a few dollars each at the local drug store.
Wrong. They were $7 each
I ordered from China $3.58
oh yes and that price included postage.
but I am not done yet
The $3.58 was for 20 of them!!!!!!
18 cents each ...including postage
The drug store that sells them for $7 each buys them from China anyway, just puts them in a plastic package that probably costs more than the battery.