Electric Shavers: Design/function vs. performance

Page 2 of 2
On 12-26-2012 19:59, Existential Angst wrote:

My take on shaving, from having tried all kinds, electric and non-electric, in the forty-some years since I first had something shaveable, is that the ads for ALL of them are lies.
I finally just let it grow.
--
Wes Groleau

I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
On 12-27-2012 01:21, Wes Groleau wrote:

And the least sucky electric I tried was a $19 Wahl.
--
Wes Groleau

A bureaucrat is someone who cuts red tape lengthwise.

http://www.wahl-store.com/detail/WAH+9880-100 $68.
Poor reviews tho: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
The $40 Remington I cited above got excellent reviews.
--
EA

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 01:25:57 -0500, Wes Groleau

I let mine grow 20 years ago, though I trim it weekdays.

I just threw away a $30ish Wahl that I used for five years. It was quite good, if a little underpowered. I replaced it with a Braun, I think, which has a *lot* of power (LiIon) but the straight head is rusting. I doubt it'll last a year before it's too gross to use.
On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:59:56 -0500, "Existential Angst"

In my experience the Remington MS-100, MS-200 style were the best. Two foil head with two position pop up trimmer. They don't make em anymore. A very simple design and they often were on sale for $25 or less. More expensive versions using the same heads were upwards of $70. But like I said, they seem to be discontinued. Still, I'd look first at Remington Dual foil razors. I tried several of the others and none were as good. Caveat - your face and beard may vary and it may not be the best for you. That's the problem with CR for something like this. It's a starting point I suppose but what they rate as the best razors didn't work well for me.
On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:59:56 -0500, "Existential Angst"
<snip>

Used to shave with a bladed razor but got tired of always looking like I was in a fight...just can't manage to shave my bumpy chin without bloodshed....so...
I used norelco rotary shavers for years...worked fine, but never got all that close a shave. I have a thick and heavy beard growth in places.
Picked up a top end braun maybe 10 years ago and loved it, until they changed the blade design. The original design was many finely sharpened cutting edges on each of the two blades cartridges. They changed it to wider spacing and, it seemed to me, less finely sharpened. Seemed cheaper and flimsier, and didn't work nearly as well. I found I had to change blade cartridges every six months and they were pricey! With the original blade design I could go at least a year without replacement.
Switched to a panasonic (One of the models with the self cleaning tank thing). The blades are more like the orginal braun. Gives a very nice shave. It's best to shave every day, but does well even when I skip a day (or two), which I tend to do pretty often. Change the blade and foil about once a year. I like the convenience of the self cleaning stand, but the cleaning cartridges are pricey too and it seems to work just as well to snap off the foil and rinse it well after use and let it air dry. If I skip a day or two the longer trimmings clog up the blade and make it harder to clean though.
I do find that using pre-shave lotion (Lectric-shave) helps me get a better shave with less razor burn. It does tend to make the trimmings sticky and thus harder to clean. Both the braun and panasonice instructions say not to use a pre-shave, probably because of the cleaning issue. Getting the trimmings out of the inside of the blade cartridges sometimes requires a little brush.
I may just go back to rotary when the panasonic dies. The cost of the braun and panasonic blades and foils and the cleaning cartridges really add up (on purpose, I'm sure) and buys you some convenience but not a much better shave.
HTH,
Paul F.