Electric Shavers: Design/function vs. performance

Page 1 of 2
Yeah, electric razor weenie over here...... And a Norelco Weenie, at dat, altho not without some considerable misgivings.
Always thought the Norelco design was flat out the most logical, direct, best. Circular always better than reciprocating right? Hmmmm, but mebbe it's time to try a Braun or sumpn....
One of my Norelco's is over 30 years old. Not much left of it, but it still goes. And in fact it's essentially BETTER than my modernized versions, one of which had one of the cutters actually eat *thru* the screen already, after, what, mebbe 1 hr accrued use???!!!! Heh, still use that one, as well, albeit carefully.....
ALL of them are now patch jobs, one of which is just stripped to the motor, with a 5V walwart for power. That was the rechargeable, with non-removeable NiCads.... thankyouNorelco..... ergo the strip job.
So not really impressed with much about them, just can't get myself to go reciprocating, but mebbe it's time.
Worse than the norelco's is the HF rotary.... holy shit, it was free, and even THEN not worth it....
I spose I could test these in Macy's or sumpn, right?? But I have trouble eating in pubic, much less shaving in pubic. Heh, still have nightmares about sleepaway camp.... goodgawd..... Lately, I do most of my shaving in le car/truck -- ticketable offense? Proly, w/ my luck...
Mebbe I should just get waxed?? All over??
So what's the take of others on design/function vs. actual shaving performance? Shoulda axed this before Xmas, I spose, eh??
--
EA

that Philco Radio held the copyrights to the Philips name for electrical goods. Long bankrupt, Philco is now out of the picture, but Philips still uses Norelco in the US.

Consumer Reports last tested these in December 2009. For what it's worth:
Rotaries:
1. Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D 1250X $200 2. Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D 1250XCC $250
Foil
1. Braun Series 7 790cc-4 Shaver System $250 2. Braun Series 7 Shaver 720s-4 $220 3. Braun Series 7 Shaver System 760cc-4 $240 4. Panasonic Nanotech ES8103s $100 5. Panasonic Vortex ES8109S $130 6. Panasonic Arc4 Multi-Flex ES-LA63-s $150 7. Panasonic ES-LA93-K $300 (really) 8. Remington Pivot and Flex Foil F-5790 $55 This one is rated as a Best Buy. 9. Remington Power Clean F-5790CS $80
CR says all these razors come with a 30 day money back trial period.

Holy shit.... mebbe I'll try to get that HF jobby going.... LOL
Mebbe January will have some sales. I"d try a CR best buy.
Looking up that remington f5790, I found a remington "flex 360 pivot" rotary:, the R4100, $40... !!! http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/gifts/shop-by-price/gifts-under-%252415/remington-flex-360-pivot-electric-razor/prod.jump?ppId 36ca3&cmvc=JCP|SearchResults|RICHREL&grView=&eventRootCatId=&currentTabCatId=&regId $200+++ for a razor is ridiculous..... I"d get waxed first.
--
EA

Existential Angst wrote:

Is it one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y888mx7hMZ0

I'm in the same position as you. I keep patching up the Norelco's. A few years ago, there was a big sign at the local store for Braun. "If you don't like it bring it back." And it was on sale.
I bought one and used it for the 30 days. They got it back.
I can't imagine any store would let you test drive it there. And you wouldn't want to if they did. I don't need herpes from the previous tester, thank you.
Walk into any Macy's or similar store. There are women lined up to get a "touch up" from the makeup station. I can't imagine how infested those brushes and powders and...are.

When I was young I got a Braun for a gift. I used it for maybe a couple of weeks and went back to a razor. Never tried another electric razor since. I remember I didn't think it was close enough for my taste. .

Ive been a blade user for 40 yrs..and these days I keep a Remington triple header in my truck. It works very well, even on 2-4 days growth and the battery never seems to die. Its a very nice shaver!
I picked up 5 various shavers from an Estate sale for $5 and sold 2 of them, kept a NOS antique around in the curio cabinet. and the other Remington sits on the sink in my bathroom.
I was utterly surprised how well it works.
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:52:15 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer

My remington does as good as a multi blade razor. Both do fine for me but the remington is more convenient. DSFDF.

Cartridges last maybe 6-8 weeks for me. Kind of spendy compared with the double-edge razor I was using, but those blades are impossible to find now, nobody carries good ones. The Fusion does a better job anyway.
For electric, I had some inherited Norelcos that were direct AC, too old for rechargeables. Did an OK job in college. Had to sharpen the cutters several times since available replacements sucked for shaving, also were expensive. The things were made to be serviced, had real bearings in the motors and actual lube points. Tried one of the Panasonic wet/dry rechargeables, was a reciprocating type. Not bad, but nothing great, either. Went back to the old double-edge razor for a good shave in the shower until the Fusion came by. You CAN scalp your face with the Fusion, but you really have to work at it.
Stan
I bought a Norelco rotary on eBay and when it arrived I found I ACcidently bought a Corded razor instead of cordless. It turned out to be a good mistake. No more fussing with the charger and batteries ,and the AC outlet is always right there. The corded razor always has plenty of power and is actually lessweight to Carry when traveling. Mark
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:11:24 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer

My problem with blades wasn't scalping myself (though that was some problem), rather ingrown hairs. Twenty years ago, I simply gave up. Problem solved.
On 12/29/2012 12:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

At one time I had some beard hairs that resembled mechanical pencil leads. O_o
TDD

Electrics seem to address that as well, in varying degrees. Also, I think the skin adapts.
--
EA

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:18:17 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Sure. They don't cut as close so the hairs don't "catch" as they grow. I use an electric trimmer.

It doesn't. It's an issue with the shape of the hair rather than the skin.

I use a double edge safety razor, basically the same as my Grandfather did.....last I checked, the blades cost a few pennys each.

has a problem biting longer whiskers.
--
<:3 )~

I too have a old Norelco 3-header, a Rototract 1602. It goes back to 1970. It failed this summer; I think brushes. But I also broke the wirespring that pivots the head & that I can't fix, so I have not bought new brushes.
I wanted a new battery-less one because any rechargable unit will be dead in a few years. It was the last model I could find, and was $70. It felt like a toy, and I was never happy with it. It felt like a toy vs. the solid 1602. To their credit, Norelco-Philips did honor their 30-day money back guarantee.
I found a dual-head Norelco 600RX at a hamfest for $2.00, and put new NiCads into it; it now gets daily use. A friend gave me his old 3-header also with dead NiCads, but they have leaked and damaged the PCB somewhere. I may give it the wallwart gut treatment.
And I have a Braun that is my traveling shaver. I love it but agree it can not handle anything longer than a day's worth.
writes:

Some of the norelco rechargeables use non-replaceable nicads, that are soldered to the pcb, difficult to remove, difficult to re-install. Easier to do the wallwart-gut.
A friend gave me

Never ever throw out wallwarts.... LOL
--
EA

> And I have a Braun that is my traveling shaver. I love it but

The issue is the old ones leaked. The new nicads work but when plugged in, the shaver hisses as SOMETHING is overheating.

Preaching to the choir, son. I have cartons full of same.