Electric Range Hot Spot

My wife is is the hospital so I have to cook for myself again. Last night I was boiling some water on the electric range and noticed that there was one spot on the outermost spiral of the heating element which was a much brighter orange than the rest of it, which was a cherry red at that time. The bright spot is about a quarter-inch long and goes right across the element. It looks to me like a spot of high resistance which might burn out one of these days. Any other opinions?
Paul
Sounds right, to me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Call repairclinic.com right now for a new burner. Then you can have it all fixed by the time your wife is back home. Best wishes to both of you.
Joe
Joe wrote:

Why not run it 'til it blows, like we do with our tires?

Right. Thats' why there are 4 burners on the stove and 4 tires on the car.
I'm kidding but I think it might last for years like this (during which time something far more expensvive might fail) and unless someone has an example of a dangerous ending, I think it will just stop working someday.

I hope your wife is doing well.
Well, my daughter had a toaster oven with a calrod element in it. Sucker blew up the other day, scattered glass from the front door of the oven all over the kitchen. Shatter proof glass, so no harm, but sure did a job on a piece of toast.
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:53:59 -0700 (PDT), professorpaul

Okay. On second thought, replace the stove element.
mm wrote:

If it breaks and exposes 240VAC to the metal pan, that can't be good for the cook.

Thank you all for your good wishes; my wife should be coming home in a few days. I'll replace the element ASAP.
Paul
HeyBub wrote:

My dad once told me he has seen them blow a hole in the bottom of a pan.