Electric Range burner out

One of the burners is out on my smooth top range. The control lights up, but the burner doesn't get hot. Any idea if this is an easy fix or what it would cost? This is one of those hard things for me to think about like if it is worth paying some guy $150 to fix an appliance with a actual cash value of probably less than $200 or if I should just buy a new one.
Disconnect power to the stove. The element should lift (on some models) and unplug or it will have a connectors to be pulled off. take it to an appliance store where they can check it with a meter. New elements cost around $20. john

jriegle wrote in message ...

The OP did say it was a "smooth top range" (ie glass top range) in which case neither of those things would apply to it.
JFYI
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=range+elements
=~~~~~~

It could be an open element, burnt wire, open thermal protector, a defective switch possible among other things. If the element is the cause, it could easily cost $150 to repair.

It may only be worth that if you tried to sell it, to replace it it would likely be at least $600 for a replacement 'glass top' range. Which would you prefer (or can afford) to pay, $150 or $600+?
At the very least I suggest you have someone look at it to determine the *actual* cost of repairing it so you can make an informed decision on the matter.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=electric+ranges
=~~~~~~