Electric problem - now what

About 3 weeks ago, the power point in our downstairs bathroom quit working. I found out when my electric razor stopped working.

So, I assumed the receptacle had failed, and replaced it. But that was not the problem.

Here are the facts that I have.

1) I have 3 bathrooms, all connected to a GFCI circuit breaker. The faulty power point is the last one on the daisy chain.

2) All the other power points are working OK.

3) Using an electric VOM, I see 110 between hot and ground; 85 volts between Neutral and ground and about 7 volts between hot and neutral. These tests were done without a load; I still have to get a load, and repeat the measurements.

4) My best guess is that I have a problem with the wiring of the neutral at the other end.

But I'm looking for your comments; I hope you suggest something I have missed.

Reply to
George Eberhardt

It's a good bet that there's a open connection between the neutral and what it should connect to at the other end of it's run, probably located at the outlet "one daisy" back in the chain.

What you are seeing is a common phenomena when using high impedance VOMs. The capacitance between the hot wire and that floating neutral is coupling an ac signal to the neutral and the capacitive reactance is considerably lower than the meter impedance, so the meter is telling the truth and reading what's there.

You can prove it to yourself by shorting the neutral to ground with a screwdriver, you won't get a spark, there's very little energy available.

Go find the break, chances are the heutral wire may be making a poor contact at one of those "stab in" back wired outlets.

HTH,

Jeff

P.S. I've never heard an "outlet" referred to as a "power point" before. Izzat common where you are, or did you create that term yourself?

JW

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I guess his message was a "Power Point Presentation". :-)

Reply to
willshak

i looked up "power point" in the websters and it said. . . "huuuuh ? ? ?"

Reply to
Playintennis5274

Reply to
NULL

I'm an Australian, even though I have lived in New Jersey for over 30 years. Because Australians were exposed to both British and American books and movies, I typically have at least two different words for many things (and sometimes a few more Australian slang words too). This is one of those cases. I just chose the wrong word.

Reply to
George Eberhardt

That's no problem, we knew what you were speaking about, and you just tought us something too. "Power point" sounds sexier than just "outlet", and I haven't felt good about the word "receptical" ever since the first SWMBO accused me of considering her no more that that.

More importantly, did you solve the problem George?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I had a problem like this at a friend's house. The problem turned out to be the "next to last" socket. the builder hadn't stabbed in the wires right. So the last outlet wasn't getting power.

I pulled out the wires, and wrapped them on the screws like they were supposed to be, and the problem went away.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Divided by a common language, again?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

English or perhaps Australian or both. Or maybe just archaic.

Reply to
SpamFree

Thats what FORD calls the extra 'cigarette lighter" (laptop, DVD etc) socket in my truck

Reply to
Rudy

"Rudy" wrote in news:MTq7d.584024$gE.550342@pd7tw3no:

My new Mitsubishi Galant has two outlets that they refer to as "power receptacles". Lighters do not work in them, since they do not have the clip for the ejection mechanism. One is mounted inside the center console, suitable for connecting a cellphone, etc. with a wire passage at the edge of where the lid closes. The other is mounted on the lower dash where one might expect a lighter. Presumably, this one would be converted for a lighter with the optional smoking package for around $100. Both have spring loaded covers.

baker

Reply to
baker

This is where I am now.

After thinking about the replies, I decided to have a look at the Outlets in the other bathrooms. In the bathroom nearest to the Outlet I have been having problems with, the outlet had been replaced by one of those new self contained GFI Outlets, and it had triggered. So I reset it, went to the problem outlet, and now everything is fine. That had to be the basic problem all the time.

Now the neutral measures zero volts, as it should, and the hot is 110. But the question now is did the GFI cut the extension power off, is that the intended design of a GFI, AND WHY WAS THE NEUTRAL FLOATING AND NOT THE HOT? My guess is that the neutrals and hot wires were exchanged somewhere. But I have to follow this up cause its dangerous.

Reply to
George Eberhardt