electric pencil sharpener on the fritz. How to fix?

I have this old (good old) Hunt-Boston pencil sharpener, in the old style (like the original panasonic ones of decades or a half-century ago): 8" long, 3.5" wide and tall.
Usual mechanism: three spiral-grooved cutting cylinders, the whole mechanism rotating (planetary gears?) when sharpening.
Well, last night the thing stopped. I slip the pencil into the hold, motor starts (somewhat higher pitched than usual) but mechanism does not rotate. When pencil tip reaches far end, it hits something spinning, and maybe sharpens (that is what it sounds like) that tiny 1/8th or 1/16th of the pencil. MAYBE. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.
Anyway, I hit the thing (the sharpener) with the heel of my hand, and it started working -- for two seconds, then returned to the motor-going but no planetary rotation.
QUESTION: No, I do not want to throw it away. Especially if it's just a broken pencil-lead stuck in the gears somewhere.
Any ideas?
THANKS!
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 26, 6:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

If the motor is running, then you have a slipped or stripped gears somewhere. You will have to figure out how to take it apart!!!
Add pictures here
✖
David Combs wrote:

I use the bench grinder to sharpen pencils.
Add pictures here
✖
Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote the following on 9/26/2012 9:49 PM (ET):

I do too, but only for carpenter's pencils. There's less waste and breakage than with a knife. I use a crank operated pencil sharpener for regular round or hexagon wooden pencils.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
[...]

Sounds like the death knell to me. Check out prices on new sharpeners before doing more than satisfy your curiousity about cause of demise.
Meanwhile use a block plane on your carpenter pencils. Hold the pane in the palm of your hand upside down and drag the pencil over the blade cutting 4 neat sides, then trim the four corners to get a precise octagonal point. Technique passed on by a 60 year member of the carpenters union. With his skills and the wage he was paid it was wise to pay attention to all the slick tricks he used for better quality and saving time.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

OK, will do. As someone said, what's there to lose?
Also, thanks for the shop-tricks for sharpening pencils, esp carpenter's pencils.
David
Add pictures here
✖