Electric Panel Rating

How does one determine the rating of an electric panel? I am not talking about the size of the main breaker or the rating of the service entrance wires but the rating of the panel itself. Should there be a plate or a label that gives the rating of the panel? Where would this be found?

Reply to
Bruce

There should be a label on the inside door. On some boxes you may have to remove the front cover to see all the info. My box says 150 Amps max. This means, on my box, the size of the main breaker can be no more than 150 Amps. I have a 100 Amp breaker outside on the meter box. I am not sure what you are asking if you are not talking about sizing of the main breaker? Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

Kevin, Thanks. My question is how to determine the maximum size service a panel is rated for. If I understand correctly panels have a rating and you cannot exceed this rating. For instance, a panel rated for 150 Amps could not have a 200 Amp main breaker. Where would I find this rating for a panel?

Reply to
Bruce