ELECTRIC Oven Repair Info Needed

Hello:
I have a WHIRLPOOL (1974 era) electric oven, MODEL: RYE1300Y2 and SERIAL M351 80369.
The top element is not heating up.
Can someone point me to instructions on how to remove and replace the top element ?
Thanks.
de ~ Vince ~ LONG ISLAND, NY
Vince wrote:

    If the oven has two elements, isn't the top one for the broiling function?

I have had it fail in my oven, so I know it's used on bake too. With just the bottom element, food won't cook completely on top.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Vince wrote:

On 28 Mar 2006 20:22:28 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

Yes, you may quote me on that !

How do you know it is the element, and not the broil/bake switch?
On my Kenmore, my broil/bake switch failed and I couldn't broil, I think it was.
Or even the wiring?

Well, at this point I really don't know if the cause is other than the element. However, I believe that the element is more common a failure than the switch and certainly more common than wiring. Once I have the element in hand, I might be able to observe an open or detect an open with an ohmmeter.
First step is to get instrux on disassembly so that I may access the required component/areas.

Aha. I took remove and replace to refer to replacing with a replacement, that is, a new element. I don't know how your particular oven is assembled.

I should have mentioned that this is a walloven unit.
I don't know if the entire unit must be removed from the cabinet/wall or if the top element can be removed from within the oven itself. It appears that each end of the element simply passes through clearance holes in the top back wall.
The lower element, which I replaced some years ago, was a piece of cake. It has mounting brackets at the rear wall held by a screw, each side.

Put a meter on it's terminals. With the oven ON, use the AC volts function. If there's 110vac and no heat, then the element is bad. If there's no voltage, then the problem is elsewhere.
Or, with the oven unplugged, use the resistance function -- should be close to zero ohms.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/index.aspx?gadws=2&ad=ov

The above ref link is proving to be very useful for me. I have found info on the RYE1300 wallovens; although mine has an analog clock and does not have any rotisserie (motor/timer etc.) feature.
I wish that there were a schematic available so that I may trouble isolate my present "no broil" problem.
Thanks, again.