Electric Oven Repair -- Element question

Yikes:
I made my "Special Roast Chicken and Beer" and the oven got trashed -- as usual.
So, my wife is "strongly suggesting" that I clean it this time.
To do a good job, I disconnected the bottom heating element and removed it from the oven, to give better access to the floor of the oven.
The element itself attaches by two screws to two wires (red and blacK wires) that supply the power to the element.
Well, not thinking, I did not pay attention to which wire (red or black) goes to which side -- ie -- red wire attaches to left side, black to right, or whatever).
So, does it make any difference? Help me out here. Wife with dirty oven not happy. Wife with NO oven very unhappy....
Tim

The heating element is just resistance wire so it doesn't make any difference.

But if it is hooked up backwards won't it freeze the food?
Rose wrote:

Hmmm, Freezing oven? That's new to me.

You would have to be an electrician to get that joke.

Electrician? He's called me everything else.
[snip]

Yes :-) Also, putting flashlight batteries in backward will turn it into a "flashdark". Something good to know if you don't like lights when you're sleeping. Just turn on the flashdark.

they're called dark suckers: http://home.netcom.com/~rogermw/darksucker.html
They must use a lot of those in Iraq, now that it's daylight saving time. So they can fight earlier, and get home to bed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Rose wrote:

Yes, but that's easy to fix. The OP should reverse the connection if he/she sees ice forming on first use.

OP again. I did not know the "electrical terms" to use, but that is sort of what I thought, but wanted to check it out before I put it back together.
Thanks for the help. Tim
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:20:40 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

When doing anything electrical, now that digital cameras are so common, it doesn't hurt to take a picture of the connections before disconnecting anything.

Are you trying to say that in order to get my oven repaired I have to get that lazy no good husband of mine the digital camera he always wanted?
If you want chicken roast and beer, it seems like a wise investment.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus