Electric mower / trimmer?

Page 3 of 6

Winston wrote:

An AC powered mower will do just fine with a wicked sharp blade and mow it often, twice a week if needed. There are 13 amp and 24 volt cordless mowers 2 to 4 hundred dollars.
Van Chocstraw wrote:
(...)

That'd be a great answer if the weeds would just grow more slowly. These are monsters. I've never seen anything like them.
Thanks!
--Winston

No matter how hard you pound, the square peg will not fit the round hole.
There is no AC powered tool appropriate for this job. Get her over her irrational fear of gas power tools, buy a 4-stroke Cub Cadet brush trimmer, teach her proper maintenance, and off she goes.
Instead of just knocking the weeds down, though, you really should be looking at ways to KILL them. Insanity is defined as performing the same task over and over and expecting a different result. Cutting the weeds down obviously isn't working, as they just grow back faster.

I agree.

Nup. Look up 'Stubborn' in the dictionary. You will see a picture of my friend. I bought her a 4 stroke gas lawn mower. She sold it in a garage sale.
That 4 stroke brush trimmer is the exact right tool for you and me. Ain't gonna work for my friend.

I agree. Several applications of Roundup has not affected these plants. I suggested several times that the soil pH can be readjusted to be 'weed unfriendly' in this vacant lot. She is not a great listener however.
Thanks!
--Winston
Just walk away. It's her problem, not yours. Leave it be. You can't do much with help rejecting complainers.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ah the joy of bashing my head against the wall!
It feels *so good* when I stop.
--Winston
"If it isn't working, do it harder!"
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ROUNDUP"..the Generic version (about half the cost of the "real" stuff )available at WalMart labelled "Eliminator" Weed & Grass Killer , 41% Glyphosate
http://www.expotv.com/Eliminator-Weed-Killer/28-DH3
Get a quart for $ 14.97 or half gallon for less than $ 30, mix it in your Tank sprayer at about 5 oz/2 gal and kill 'em dead ! They won't be back..
Rudy wrote:

These weed laughed at several applications of real, branded Roundup. They came back, time after time.
Thanks!
--Winston

NOT USING THE RIGHT MIXTURE..Dont use RTU..get the 41% and use 5 OZ per 2 gal tank sprayer. After they're dead, you have to remove all the debris/seeds etc. Dormant seeds are not killed by Roundup..they'll sprout after a good rain. It may take a few cycles to get them all but it will work.
Rudy wrote:

The lady had successfully used mix - it - yourself Roundup for many years against several kinds of weeds. She knows how to do that properly. Several applications later, these weeds still stand. If she has not gotten a counterfeit jug of Roundup, we exhausted the potential of that particular chemical.
Thanks!
--Winston

Full strength Roundup is 50.2% glyphosate. I buy it in a gallon jug at Home Depot for $110.
Eliminator is not a bad deal, but it is not the same product. If you try and kill a stand of bamboo, you'll experience the difference!
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:
(...)

I suspect that the Roundup we purchased over the last year or so has been counterfeit.
I recall that Roundup used to be very effective against weeds. These weeds are very happy sucking it up.
Thanks!
--Winston

Read Echos site on Engine hour rating, the motor will be the last thing to go, ans wear earplugs. I have stuff from the 80s, it all works. How you run and care for power tools determine their life.
ransley wrote:
(...)

That works for me but not for my friend.
Perhaps you have seen a non-aficionado struggle with starting a small gas engine? It is very frustrating for them because they can't do the 'Briggs Mind Meld' necessary to set the machine up properly and they don't have the troubleshooting ability necessary to recover when the motor becomes flooded, etc.
You can guarantee that a non-aficionado will manage to set the choke exactly wrong for any ambient temperature!
My friend has no interest in the physics of gas engines. I understand that it is possible, on an intellectual level, to not like little gas engines.
My friend will happily use a corded tool however.
Thanks!
--Winston

She has about ruined 2 AC units? She might not have enough voltage from small gauge extension cords, you could check cord gauge and measure voltage at the trimmer when its on.
ransley wrote:
(...)

The nature of the damage is purely mechanical. The Grasshog is expensive but very cheaply made. Little shattered plastic parts.
I freely admit that the tool was never made for this level of abuse, however.
Thanks!
--Winston
Winston wrote:

There are probably contractors who can mow and later spray the stuff. I'd try to call some. Does she intend to keep the weeds and just keep mowing or cutting, or does she have a plan to change the landscaping?

(...)
She has no plan to change the landscaping. She just wants to keep the plot flattened.
I find it more than a little suspicious that these weeds should pop up on her property and not on any of the surrounding neighbor's land. I'm keeping that thought to myself however.
I've known her for nearly 30 years; I suspect she will continue buying and breaking N+1 A.C. weed whackers.
She does make *some* headway with the little whackers. On average, she clears about 5% as much square footage as I can using my 2 stroke brush cutter in the same amount of time.
I offered to go back and clear the weeds again but she *wants to do it herself*.
Oh Well. :)
--Winston
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:05:20 -0700, Winston wrote:

Roundup?