Electric mower / trimmer?

Page 2 of 6

Winston wrote:

Factor in voltage drop and motor efficiency and you'll be lucky to get even close to 1 real HP.
Pete C. wrote:

(...)
Electric motors generally exceed 80% efficiency. Gas motors rarely exceed 25% efficiency.
Figure less than 6 V drop for a 75 foot extension cord at 15A and less than 4 V drop at 10A. 120 - 6 = 114 V. That'd work great!
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Good electric motors exceed 80% efficiency, cheap electric motors as used in electric trimmers - not even close.
Gas motors may not be very efficient fuel wise, but a 1hp gas motor outputs 1hp as long as it has fuel.
Pete C. wrote:
(...)

Either approach would work great.
I hear as a general rule of thumb that it takes more 'HP' of gas engine to provide the same 'power' as that of a same-rated electric motor under load. I know, it sounds like nonsense on the face of it. I suspect it has something to do with the different torque curves of the two, though I don't know for sure.
http://www.evconvert.com/eve/electric-car-motors
The electric type would be very much quieter and easier for her to use. Most importantly, she *would* use it instead of getting rid of it in a garage sale.
:)
--Winston
Winston wrote:

An electric motor can output more than it's rated HP for a short time if sufficient electricity is available vs. a gas engine which can not generally exceed it's rated HP. If the electricity is not available to support the extra HP, either due to voltage drop from long extension cords or circuit breakers tripping, you won't get any extra HP.
Pete C. wrote:
(...)

That sounds right.
--Winston

Your calculations are way off. First there is the length of the house wiring from the service entrance to wherever you plug in the extension cord. Then there is the cord itself and loss at connections which are rarely perfect. If the combined total length of the house wiring and the extension is more than 50 feet, you need to get a MUCH heavier extension cord. 14AWG is not going to cut it. Go to a 10 AWG if you want the power at the outlet to arrive at the tool. Unfortunately, your diminuative friend will need a wheelbarrow to move that extension cord.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: (...)

A non-issue. The wiring from service entrance to outlets exceeds NEC ampacity requirements. Rest assured that the outlet in question is capable of 15 A at less than 500 mV drop, 24/7/365.

Good catch, Thanks! Any of these 14 AWG 15 A 50 foot cords will do nicely:
McMaster.com 8047K65     $31.29 8146K32     $59.23 7522K62     $44.29
--Winston
Perhaps you should leave her alone with her own problem, then? Bet she hates it when you force solutions on her.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You wouldn't know it from my suave, debonair delivery on USENET, but I have yet to develop the sophistication to allow my friends to think my proffered solution was their idea all along.
This is unfortunate because like most folks on this forum, I find 'engineering challenges' fascinating. Mostly I enjoy the expression on the face of my friends when they 'get' a concept I've been trying to communicate.
--Winston

Roundup, of course.
Joe

That was what I was going to say. Or some weed killer like it.
On only a 1/4 acre lot how did those things manage to get so tall ?
Ralph Mowery wrote:

It is a puzzlement. They grow like weeds. It is uncanny.
My friend has tried several applications of Roundup. These weeds laugh it off.
Thanks, though.
--Winston
Joe wrote:
(...)

Hi Joe.
My friend has tried several applications of Roundup. These weeds laugh it off.
Thanks, though.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Pictures...???
Contact local extension office and find out what they are...
dpb wrote:

(Well, OK they dry out and go from green to straw color. But they do not pull out of the ground with less than several hundred pounds of force and have a very strong, fibrous stalk.)

Pictures are not convenient at the moment. Not a problem though. Just envision a single stalk about 1/4" to 3/8" inch in diameter, sticking about 3' to 4' in the air. They grow like a science fiction experiment. They are completely absent in lots surrounding hers and only appeared in her lot within the last three years. Really spooky.

Our extension office has been closed for about 5 years.
Thanks!
--Winston

He's doing it wrong. For starters, there are a lot of variations on Round Up. Most people buy the cheaper versions that is 'pre-watered down". Buy the full strength stuff, and mix it yourself to whatever styrength is needed for each individual situation. The stuff that comes in a spray bottle won't kill anything that is much tougher than lawn grass.
Mix 10-12 oz of full strength Round Up to a gallon of water and you can kill astroturf and fake palm trees.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:
(...)

My friend has used Roundup concentrate effectively in years past. It doesn't appear to be technique. The Roundup could be counterfeit, however.
Thanks!
--Winston

There is Round Up concentrate and then there is Round Up SUPER DUPER EXTREME concentrate. Big difference! Read the label. The strongest one is 50.2% Glyphosate.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:
(...)

Okay, I'll mention that to her.
Thanks!