Electric Meter Lugs

I am installing a new electric service soon. I have only one question left. Edison gave me my new 200 amp meter pan, and the lugs have a hex-head type bolt on them. What do electricians use to tighten this lug? I am planning on using a torque wrench, to tighten the lug to my copper service entrance wires, but what kind of socket do i use for this?
On 25 Oct 2006 18:43:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

any good tool place or auto part store. Take one of the lug screws with you to match it up..
Its not an allen socket. The lug head resembles the head of a self-taping sheet metal screw, or lag bolt. I believe this is a standard electric lug configuration, but ... snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

How about a regular socket?
On 25 Oct 2006 19:19:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think you will find that a 1/2 inch socket does the trick.
Following is a picture of a hex socket. Use it on your torque wrench and tighten to the meter base manufacturer's specs (should say on meter base label). Very important to get it the correct tightness. Also if aluminum wiring, be sure to apply oxidation inhibitor (aluminum wiring goop) to the wires before sticking them into the lugs. I use an old toothbrush to brush it onto the wires.
Picture of hex socket not necessarily correct size. http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog/product_detail1.aspx?pid 797

Best recommendation is to follow the manufactures instructions. The No Ox I used, recommends emery cloth or a wire brush.
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Bill wrote:

Use a stiff wire brush to remove any oxidation from the conductors prior to applying the anti oxidation paste. Apply the paste immediately after you finish brushing.
--
Tom Horne