Electric Meter

Page 3 of 5

If Onstar can stop your car, unlock your doors, and provide GPS, the smart meter can most likely stop your power, unlock your house, and provide GPS.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You can just walk outside and check your meter.

Remember when the drunk guy hit a tree with his car; then he went to another bar to relax, and On-star called the police.

Not if he's a half continent away on business or vacation.

On 6/19/2010 8:50 AM, mm wrote:

Imagine some government busybody decides you're using too much electricity and gets a warrant to search your home for anything incriminating. It already goes on. You fail to pay a parking ticket and the city contacts the power company to switch off your power. The perils of too much control made too easy is a slippery slope. There are those in government who want to make all money electronic. Imagine, "Do what we say or we will turn off your money." Technology can be either incredibly wonderful or devastatingly evil.
TDD
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

The utilities report excessive usage to the police who then check for pot growing which uses a lot of power.

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

My local company changed mine about 5 years ago. It's great. They don't bother me to come in the house anymore. Same with the gas meter.

Your electric and gas meters were inside the house? Yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....
-snip-

Pretty common in the northeast in old houses in the cities.
My water meter is still in my basement and I've been reading it every 6 months for 25 years. Supposed to go to electronic, remote read meters this summer.
Jim

I have *never* seen either a gas or electric meter inside a house. Water meters, sure. Gas and electric? Won't believe it without a photo.
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:04:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

TWIAVBP - If you really think you have seen everything that is real, then it is time for you to end your journey.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gas+meter+in+basement http://lmgtfy.com/?q=electric+meter+in+basement
Here's a picture for you- http://www.inspectapedia.com/plumbing/gasfaults7.htm
Jim
On 6/19/2010 9:25 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

of them but are likely 30,000 homes in my immediate area that still have indoor meters that look just like that.
On 6/19/2010 9:04 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Why not? Extremely common around here especially for multioccupant buildings and in the older areas.
My parents electric meter is over the washer / dryer. The gas meter is in the other corner of the cellar, indoors. I see indoor gas and electric meters rather commonly. Rochester, NY area.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Becaue the wives used to stay home like they should now. So being indoors wasn't a problem.
On 6/19/2010 8:53 AM, mm wrote:

So your daddy was actually the meter reading man?
TDD
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 11:52:31 -0500, The Daring Dufas

No. My father made sure we lived without electricity until I was conceived.
(Actually, even in 1939 and 1946, my mother needed a her tubes blown open with compressed air before she could get pregnant. It's still a somewhat dangerous treatment, so I wonder how dangerous it was then.)

mm wrote:

Even if we returned to your 1950s Utopia that never really existed, there are lots and lots of single people out there, of both genders.
--
aem sends...

<stuff snipped>

I think there are officially more than two genders now. I suspect that's why many are living solo - can't find a matching gender to hook up with.
-- Bobby G.
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 23:58:59 -0400, "Robert Green"

BTW, "gender" is a characteristic of language, and IIRC, some have as many as seven.

You're thinking of cases (e.g. nominative, predicative, possessive, etc.). Russian, Latin, and Polish have seven cases, German four, English three.
No language I'm aware of has more than three genders: masculine, feminine, and neuter.