Electric Hot Water Heater

Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power to both elements. Thanks for any input.
You should be able to test continuity, a working coil will check OK with an OHM meter. Disconnect the power and test them and see if they have continuity from one side of the coil to the other and then the other one and compare readings. If one doesn't conduct you've found your problem and it needs to be replaced.
Rich
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on&nbsp; HWH without draining it?&nbsp; And if I have to drain it&nbsp;what is the best&nbsp;procedure to do the test.&nbsp; I have hot water but not&nbsp;as hot as it was. There is power to&nbsp;both elements.&nbsp; Thanks for&nbsp; any input.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it was. There is power to both elements. Thanks for any input.
HWH? Somebody else say it. :-)

Everytime I mention my cold water heater to anyone I get strange responses. I have also noticed that when I touch my water heater it seems more hot than cold so I am really confused as to just what kind of water heater I do have. ;>)
Don Young

It's a WWH - I know cuz I have one too.
on 6/8/2009 7:27 PM (ET) 1D10T wrote the following:

Google "hot water heater" with the quotes. I get 1,350,000 hits, and many are from companies selling them.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Because they understand that many people think they're called HWH's, and that's their search term.

Sort of like a tea kettle. How many have tea in them?
wrote in message

And we drive on parkways and park on driveways.

If the water was hot...

First, most water heaters have a 6 year warranty. The manufacturer MAY send you new parts if the water heater is less than 6 years old.
Second, all parts may be functioning properly. Many times sludge and other "stuff" build up in the bottom of the tank to the point that it covers the lower element. I fthe lower element is covered with debris, it will not produce the effects that you are use to.
Third, To drain a water heater, run a hose from the drain valve to a drain that is LOWER than the water heater. Then open valve. If water does not drain, or drains slow, then you definately have build up in the tank. To drain the tank with build up, it can be VERY messy and time consuming. Be cautious.
Hank

All the necessary testing can be performed without draining the tank.