Electric Hot Water - continual dirty 'yellow/brown' water

Bought a new home a year ago with a 10 year old upright electric hot water tank and the hot water gradually started to turn the yellowish brown sort of color, so read up on solutions and 'flushing' seemed the approriate action

First flush and suspicions confirmed as brown (along red) dirt sediment started to rush out, flushed from the top with a garden hose and through the bottom via the cold water inlet valve till it ran clear again

Remained clear for 24 hours before it started to go yellow/brown again

Same process as above, lots more brown/red dirt muck sediment came out, flushed top and bottom till clear, water clear for 24 hours then next day dirty yellow again

And so this process has gone on for a month now with 2 full flush cleanouts a week, but still the hot water remains a yellow brown (cold water is fine and cold water via the inlet valve is also fine) and am getting might annoyed by now!

Probably flushed out a good few inches of fine dirt - not overly impressed with my water provider either and previous house owner

Is a ceramic/glass tank

I have a suspect that the sediment is lining the sides of the tank but can't get at them with the hose through the top hole????

Is there any suggestion to what I can do to give it a complete flush to cleanout the crap out once and for all or need to seek professional help

Reply to
Tim

I had the same problem due to high iron content. Whenever it gets heated up, whether you have gas,oil, or electric water heater, it will "agitate" the iron and cause some kind of chemical reaction. The way my water company advised me to flush it was to first turn my gas control to pilot( in your case it would be just shut off the breaker). Then attach a garden hose to the drain at the bottom. Run the hose to a nearby sink or drain, then open the valve and let the water run continuosly until it runs clear, which might take 10 minutes.

Reply to
Mikepier

I recently replaced my water heater with the same problem. 10 years is a long time for a water heater...my new one is only warranted 6 years.

oren They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction. Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998

Reply to
oren

I have found that the drains supplied on water heaters are fairly restrictive. Next time you drain the tank. Remove the drain valve. Mine have been standard 1/2 pipe thread. Get a nipple and hose adaptor and screw in to replace. Run the hose out side some where and turn the water back on. I always get more sludge and crud doing this. If this does not have a positive effect then it is time for a new water heater. Considering the dirt you are getting I would be putting a paper particulate filter on the supply for the whole house. You will be amazed when you change the filter in 6 months.

Reply to
SQLit

Seems a bit wasteful to buy a new heater when it still actually is mechanically sound and heats fine all for the fact that it has an obviously large amount of sediment and crap in it

Trying to clean it out is my first option

Major problem is the inability to access the actual tank properly, blowing water in the air and water valves is only doing 5% of the actual cleaning area

Reply to
Tim

The fact that the heater is already 10 years old means your best efforts are not going to last long.

10-15 years is just about the most you can expect from ANY water heater

And it sounds like you have already done everything possible to save it.

If the "muck" was coming from the supply you would likely see signs of it in the cold water too.

It sounds like the only permanent fix is to drop in a new heater, and flush out the water lines as much as possible.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

I had a similar problem

You really need to call a professional, depending on your heater they may or may not be able to remove the heating element(s) and get large hole access to the tank that way and give it a good cleanout

Reply to
iamthepornking