Electric heating now cheaper than Gas

Page 1 of 2
http://www.terasen.com/NR/rdonlyres/ebqarpcidctjr2wazqwmlabjdtllfnp22ph5tt5n rpeazsvaax5egiwg7xxeej2msn2cx6tjdrrgeez6r5szawsm5oh/LowerMainlandFuelCosts.p df
In BC, Canada anyways - Gas is $11/GJ and Electric is 5.7cents/KWH. (There are approx 10 therms/GJ)
I have used baseboard heating supplemented with gas for 2 years and spend approx $300/year to heat my home. (The norm here is approx $1200/year) Most of the savings is due to heating only the rooms we use. I'm considering replacing the gas hot water heater with electric as well to eliminate the monthly gas fixed charge of $10.
It sure is nice not to listen to a noisey furnace and worry about filters, CO2 etc.
We had an electric hot water heater and when I replaced it with gas my bill was $5 less month, the idea of heating only the rooms you use is great, how long does it take to heat an un-heated room, or do you leave the rooms you use heat heated 24-7?
Tom F

It takes 15-30 mins to warm up an unheated room. We only heat the room as long as we are using it. We heat the family room kitchen area in the day and evening then turn on the bedroom heat 1/2 hour before bedtime and off when we get up. It is amazing how much can be saved. To be effective, you need to close off the areas being heated and make sure all the thermostats are turned off, especially in the kids rooms. I installed a door between the kitchen and living room to separate the areas. My wife complains that she has to sprint down the cold hallway to the bedroom.

How do you keep your pipes from freezing?

Many people heat with wood or coal. It is amazing how much heat a small cast iron stove can generate. $300 a year sounds very reasonable to heat a home. Take a IR picture of your home to deterrmine where to insulate.
Phisherman wrote:

So, where does one find an IR camera???
You are lucky with cheap elec most US is .10 -.14 kwh . GJ ?? Infrared cameras are very expensive you would hire someone that does energy consultation. And it wont be cheap for a photo, but its worth it.
Martik wrote:

What's a "GJ"? Don't think gas is measure that way in the US. (My bill shows the meter reads in cubic feet, and then they convert to THERMS as the costing unit...)
The metric standard for energy content is joules (J). One joule is equal to the heat needed to raise the temperature of one gram (g) of water by one degree Celsius (C). a.. One gigajoule (GJ) equals one billion joules. b.. One GJ of natural gas is equal to 27 litres of fuel oil, 39 litres of propane, 26 litres of gasoline or 277 kilowatt hours of electricity. c.. A GJ = 948,200 btu's d.. A therm = 100,000 btu's

No, that's a calorie. A joule is the energy it takes to push one kilogram through one metre at a constant acceleration of one metre per second squared, i.e., 1 J = 1 kg·m²/s². 1 cal = 4.19 J.
--
Dean Tiegs, NE¼-20-52-25-W4
“Confortare et esto robustus”
Dean Tiegs wrote:

Non-SI units (such as the various versions of calorie) do not have complicated definitions anymore. They are now merely defined as multiples of the equivalent SI unit: 1 cal(15) = 4.1855 J 1 cal(IT) = 4.1868 J 1 cal(th) = 4.184 J

Yes. The official definitions of SI units can be found at the SI website: www.bipm.org/en/si
Bottom line , for most of U.S. Elec is double the cost per BTU of NG

Yeah, but electric is 100% efficient. Cost is the same if Gas appliance is 50% efficient.
100 per cent wrong Oscar, Gas furnaces can be 96.6% -- 94 % are norm. Who is stupid enough to keep a 50 % furnace for long. You ?
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Actually, the 'norm' is closer to 80% (and you'd be surprised at how many furnaces are running at 50% without their owners' knowledge). There are many reasons to NOT install a high efficiency furnace. Purchase price can easily be double the price of a traditional furnace. Maintenance costs are also typically higher. High efficiency ALWAYS costs more in the short term. Depending on your climate, it can cost more over the long term as well. If the payback period is greater than the expected life of the furnace, then you're better off with a lower efficiency model.
My quote for 94% was 25% more. Norm of 80% only because its the minimum and cheapest sold. In the midwest it gets to -25 and heat is used for 7.5 months a year. Payback on 94 vs 80% can be 1 year. Here heating costs can break you. Its really where you live. But the Variable speed motors can reduce elec cost by 50 % , a cost people forget about. And increase SEER by 1 and dehumidify better , So there are cooling season benefits as well. Maintenance yes , 10 yr warrantys are mandatory. But I calculated elec savings vith a variable speed , mine will be 150 a year. Over the short and long haul its worth it for me. Electric savings summer and winter are what people overlook.
mark Ransley wrote:

The motor heats at 100% efficiency as an electrical furnace, so you can't save on heating costs with any motor, except as electric heating is more expensive than gas. All the energy it consumes turns into heat, even the noise; but at the electrical heating price.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
mark Ransley wrote:

Inefficiency has only one place to go, and that's heat. It does so with 100% efficiency, owing to its being the only place to go.
Lights work the same way, if you don't let the light out the window.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
In 90 % of the US where KWH cost is double the cost per btu as NG you advocate leaving lights on , Stupid. Also T8 flouresent can output over 100 lumen per watt vs 17 for incandesant Thats right 6 times more efficent. 6 times more light. Incandesants are nothing more than heaters that put out light. 90 watt heat , for 10 watts light. Stupid for the cooling season, and stupid for 90 of the US where Elec is double the cost of gas. CFL output 40 - 60 lumen per watt , 4x better than incandesant You have no idea what energy savings are do you. I have 1800 sq ft . in winter my neighbor pays near 700 a month same size house . My costs went from 400 a month to 660 A YEAR with central air, from all energy star and flourescents. And no I leave crap on all day. Heat from motors, get real , Its negligable , KWH costs more, its not where you need it. Do some real research and learn. or look at your utility bills. You sound like a BSing lobbyist for the Utility Companys.