Electric furnaces

Going to replace an ancient oil furnace. My first preference is electric & would appreciate advice/opinions on installation. Old furnace to be demo'd from the skin out as the ducts are not suitable for electric.

Does electric differ from other fuels in installation procedures, ie: is Schedule (??) needed & what is it? What does it accomplish?

1927 house recently re-wired for 200A. 2 duct runs easily acessable in basement.

Trane was suggested because "Nothing runs like..." I would hope to find one NOT made in China.

Thanks for any advice & hope this doesn't open a big can of worms. 8^) Mary

ps: Not posted to HVAC group.

Reply to
Olie Young

If the price of oil is not high enough for you, the change to electric is a good idea. You won't have to worry about having money left over at the end of hte month.

Rates vary, but oil in my area would have to be about $5.20+ for electric to be as cheap. My electric is 18.3¢ and rising

Installation is m uch different in some areas, but the same for ducting. I'm not sure what you are looking for there, especialy the Schedule question.

I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In many areas of the country, natural gas, propane, or oil are a lot cheaper, over the life of the furnace.

I'd suggest to call several companies local to you. Hire the one which is polite, and whose answers you can easily understand. While replacing furnace, often they have a package deal to get central AC also.

Oil furnace are a royal PIA, and are very messy. full of black soot. The newer ones not as bad. Since you have the oil tank and oil line, maybe newer oil furnace? I've put central AC in oil fired systems, it can be done.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:izwik.18581$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

Wow Edwin. That is relatively high.

I would have never guessed :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Ducks are ducks, why electric would make ducts inoperable sounds like BS to me. did you price the BTU cost for Oil Propane and Electric?? are you upping insulation to 2010 standards? I bet not..

Reply to
ransley

TRANE was suggested because it runs, so do 100 others, Installers do make a job, and make the job, Id suggest get a permit taken out since you are being taken out, and get a few bids....

Reply to
ransley

(Stormin=A0Mormon) In many areas of the country, natural gas, propane, or oil are a lot cheaper, over the life of the furnace. I'd suggest to call several companies local to you. Hire the one which is polite, and whose answers you can easily understand. While replacing furnace, often they have a package deal to get central AC also. Oil furnace are a royal PIA, and are very messy. full of black soot. The newer ones not as bad. Since you have the oil tank and oil line, maybe newer oil furnace? I've put central AC in oil fired systems, it can be done.

Thanks for your polite response. In my area of the country electriciy is prdoced by hydro & is one of the lowest rates in the nation. Looking to the future, with all the alternative sources being explored, I feel electric is the best choice, however oil is not out of the qeustion

I have dealt with the same supplier (oil) for many years & they will, I'm sure, be very helpful to me as they deal in all sources, ie: gas, oil, electric, heat pumps, etc. A/C is neither wanted nor needed , by me at least, in our moderate climate. Future owners can make their own decisions.

Only posted here to help me understand what a "Schedule "something-or-other" is for & if needed with electric. Present old beast is probably 75-80 years old with those huge, round duct pipings. I'm just assuming they aren't suitable for any new furnace, whatever the power source, & would like to get rid of them in any event.

I see the worms are already starting to crawl out of the can. If I don't get any more helpful advice will probably not post again which would make the nay-sayers happy especilly as I'm using the dreaded WebTV. Best to all. Mary

Reply to
Olie Young

The advantage to electric, you have the option to heat each room individually. Either with baseboard electric heaters, or plug in space heaters. If the cost was reasonable, I'd use baseboard electric. Keep the unused areas colder, and save heat that way.

The advantages to a furnace include air filtering. And humidity in the winter, you can put on a humidifier.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Get a load calculation in writing so you dont oversize it to much and seal dects with mastic, have ducts insulated, getting an air filter like Air Bear is a good idea to keep the coils clean. Pull a permit so you get a free inspection dont pay until after the inspection.

Reply to
ransley

My electric bill is over $200 a month. I guess I could switch from gas to electric if I feel the bill is too low.

Reply to
Phisherman