electric furnace (turtle??)

I bought a home (pre-fab = mobile without wheels) that has a Coleman Evcon model EB15B furnace. Until I upgrade to a heat pump, I'd like to get the most of what I can out of this fuel hog.

When the thermostat calls for heat, the fan blows and 2 of the three heaters in it have power going to them. (the limit switch is OK to the one that doesn't turn on.) (I'm guessing the third may be for if it's very, very cold?) Anyway, when the room temperature rises, the thermostat opens, the fan speed slows, and the two heating elements are still getting full 240VAC. After about a minute it shuts off completely. This seems strange to me, I again am guessing that the heaters should turn off and the slow fan speed makes good of what heat is in the system, mainly the two hot heating elements. But like I said, the heaters stay on. Is this not working correctly?

All three heating elements are wired to what the wiring digram calls a "sequencer", it looks like a combination of two relays/heat sensor combinations, mounted on a plate with the numbers: 15SH41 309509

3115-357 H1-110 C1-110

So is the sequencer bad? Which of those numbers are the actual part number I would need to get a replacement? Can I get a replacement? Where?

By the way I've been playing with 240VAC for almost 30 years now and I'm not going to fry myself.

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Tony Miklos

You didnt like the answers I gave...a certified York and Coleman dealer?

I only work on about 4 of those a week..

Reply to
steve

This is Turtle.

I don't see a problem with the 2-5 KW elements staying on till the fan goes off. You could change this but you would have to buy a 4 stack element pack and then you would have 1 element and the fan going off together. Then on second stage it would turn on another 10 KW after 2 minutes of run time. This might save a little of electric cost but you would be 2 or 3 years getting you investment back in a 4 stack sequancers pack. You have a 3 stack now

I don't think I would mess with it for it is doing what they designed it to do.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

OK, thanks for letting me know it is working properly. Sure seems strange putting out hotter air just before it turns off??? Completely backward from my old oil hot air furnace which would cool itself down before turning off the fan. But if that is the way it is designed, I guess someone had a reason for it.

Oh well, I'm getting estimates for a heat pump, actually a complete new

12 or 13 seer unit and putting this A/C and electric heat in the garage where it won't get much use, but it will be there when I want it.

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony Miklos

This is Turtle.

the slower fan speed and 2 element still running when shutting down. This will leave a hotter air temp in the duct work to not have a blast of cold air from the ducts when it cycles back on. If you let the air cool off in the duct the duct work air will even get colder and it will blow pure cold air for about 20 seconds till the cold air clears the duct system. They do this for this reason .

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Now it makes sense!