Electric furnace?

That part is true. For us, even our grocery stores and gas stations didn't have power for a few days, so we had to go to unaffected parts of town to get fuel. A couple of gas stations, thankfully, were quicker to set up their own giant generators so they could run the pumps and do business otherwise. A local grocery store had to do the same thing.
--
Maggie

I don't have to carry my natural gas, and the pumps on the line are natural gas powered so they don't go out in power outages.
On 10/15/2015 3:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

We have gas heat and water heaters, so we're at least warm and can take hot baths if the power is out.
--
Maggie

Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

Somebody in one of the generator fora coined the phrase "Lifeboat vs Cruise Ship"....
I opted for "Lifeboat" (2 KW Honda) and the neighbor for "Cruise ship" (6 KW Home Depot).
During the nine-day outage last year the neighbor was driving all over Southeastern Pennsylvania getting gas for his Home Depot monster while I was sitting at home experiencing a certain degree of schadenfreude....
--
Pete Cresswell

On Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 11:53:03 AM UTC-4, Shade Tree Guy wrote:

For years I thought that the electric utility waited until they heard my generator start before they'd turn the power back on. Every darned time, except 2003 when they let me run the gennie all night long. Kept my husband's CPAP going, anyway.
Cindy Hamilton

(-:

The newer CPAPs run on 12VDC as well as AC and a good sized battery - car or scooter can keep them going all night and even several days depending on the size of the battery. My ex-boss needed one and he was in bad enough shape not to be able to fuel or futz with a generator. Hooked up a 55Ah gel cell scooter batter from Harbor Freight to a 2A trickle charger so the unit was always battery powered. So far, so good.
This site
http://www.cpap.com/cpap-faq/Power.html
claims:
<<For example, a CPAP machine set at 10 cm H20 and charged on a deep-cycle marine battery will usually last three nights before it needs to be recharged.>>
But that has to be taken with a grain of salt because marine batteries come in all sorts of capacities and they didn't specify.
http://www.cpap.com/cpap-compare-chart.php
alleges to list which machines run on 12VDC. The higher the CPAP setting, obviously, the shorter the battery life. I'd recommend anyone who depends on a CPAP look into battery backup power.
--
Bobby G.

On 10/15/2015 12:41 AM, HerHusband wrote:

I've not used the woodstove in a few years, but it is comforting to know I can fire it up at any time. It had a griddle on the top so we can cook directly on it if desired. I like opening the doors though, to grill a steak.

The LED lanterns are great. They last 40+ hours on a set of batteries and are very bright.

Hurricane Gloria, 2 1/2 days in 70 years. Next to that, maybe 12 to 14 hours. Longest in winter was only a few hours.

We typically use ours a few times a week during the winter, mostly in the evenings for the ambiance and cozy heat that only a wood fire provides.
However, last winter was so warm we were only able to use the wood stove a few times. It just gets too hot in the house unless it's in the 40's or lower outside. Long range forecast is for another warm winter here this year.

Interesting. I've never heard of grilling a steak on a woodstove.
Our woodstove is small (we have a small house), so we can only fit a pan on the sides. I probably wouldn't cook a meal on it unless I had to, but it's doable if it came to that.

Yep, I bought an LED lantern a few years ago. Still on the original batteries and going strong, even though we take it camping with us too.
We also have a few of these emergency backup lights plugged in around the house. They turn on automatically when the power goes out, nice when you're on the other side of a dark room. They also make nice flashlights if we need to move about the house or work on something.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Thankfully, we don't get hurricanes here, and tornadoes are extremely rare. We did get two wind storms last winter that knocked the power out twice for 8-9 hours each (trees blew down on the power lines all over the county).