Electric fan motor repair

    My faithful oscillating fan has given up the ghost. I know I can go buy a new one but I like tinkering and fixing things so I'm looking for some help.
The facts:
1) Its a three speed table fan with thermal protection that is about 20 years old.
2) There is no hum indicating its trying to spin and giving it a hand doesn't help.
3) I removed the capacitor and tested with a multi-meter on the ohm range. The "resistance" increases steadily to a large number and then goes to zero ( its a 4 uf 230V cap ). I think this means its OK??
4) There is a "device" in the circuit coming from the neutral to the cap (ie . white---> "device" ---> cap ). Its tied with string on top of the winding and inside a clear plastic sleeve, is cylindrical in shape with one end pointed and coloured orange. There are some markings on it but I can't read them without removing it first). The AC voltage before the "device" is 115V. Voltage after the " device" is 11V.
Is this the thermal-protection? If so does this indicate it's fired and should be replaced? ( I haven't tried to bypass it because it means snipping some more wires)
5) Near as I can tell there arre no "brush's " but I haven't fully dissasembled ( because I don't figured how to get some of the parts off :-)
Most important: I'm reasonably handy but my electronics/motor knowledge is basic high-school level( ie I know what a stator, rotor,armature,commucator etc. are but not sure I can relaibly tell you if its a split-phase, or induction etc type motor :) )
Any suggestions are appreciated
Frank
040829 2355 - PSI posted:

The "device" should be by-passed and see if the motor will run then. You can always add some wires to resolder the "device" back into the circuit.
Sounds like a thermal fuse to me. Some appliance parts places h ave them.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Replaced the "device", which I now understand is correctly called a thermal fuse, cleaned out the dried grease and dust, applied some "electric motor oil" to the shaft and the fan is blowing again - maybe another 20 years.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
Frank
040831 0034 - PSI posted:

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it all turned out.
Y'welcome. Please remit $48.50 for consultation.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus