Electric fan motor repair

My faithful oscillating fan has given up the ghost. I know I can go buy a new one but I like tinkering and fixing things so I'm looking for some help.

The facts:

1) Its a three speed table fan with thermal protection that is about 20 years old.

2) There is no hum indicating its trying to spin and giving it a hand doesn't help.

3) I removed the capacitor and tested with a multi-meter on the ohm range. The "resistance" increases steadily to a large number and then goes to zero ( its a 4 uf 230V cap ). I think this means its OK??

4) There is a "device" in the circuit coming from the neutral to the cap (ie . white---> "device" ---> cap ). Its tied with string on top of the winding and inside a clear plastic sleeve, is cylindrical in shape with one end pointed and coloured orange. There are some markings on it but I can't read them without removing it first). The AC voltage before the "device" is 115V. Voltage after the " device" is 11V.

Is this the thermal-protection? If so does this indicate it's fired and should be replaced? ( I haven't tried to bypass it because it means snipping some more wires)

5) Near as I can tell there arre no "brush's " but I haven't fully dissasembled ( because I don't figured how to get some of the parts off :-)

Most important: I'm reasonably handy but my electronics/motor knowledge is basic high-school level( ie I know what a stator, rotor,armature,commucator etc. are but not sure I can relaibly tell you if its a split-phase, or induction etc type motor :) )

Any suggestions are appreciated

Frank

Reply to
PSI
040829 2355 - PSI posted:

The "device" should be by-passed and see if the motor will run then. You can always add some wires to resolder the "device" back into the circuit.

Reply to
indago

More inserted.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like a thermal fuse to me. Some appliance parts places h ave them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Replaced the "device", which I now understand is correctly called a thermal fuse, cleaned out the dried grease and dust, applied some "electric motor oil" to the shaft and the fan is blowing again - maybe another 20 years.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Frank

Reply to
PSI
040831 0034 - PSI posted:

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it all turned out.

Reply to
indago

Y'welcome. Please remit $48.50 for consultation.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon