electric dryer screeching

I have a Kenmore model 110 electric dryer, don't know the age. It just started making a horrific, continuous, pulsating screech when running. Not like when your car's belts are slipping, more like metal on metal. I looked inside the drum at the fabric/plastic bearing on both ends and it doesn't look extremely worn through. I guess its silly to oil this bearing if you want your clothes clean.
What other parts would screech? I took the back off and part of the lint chute to see the fan but not too deep into it yet...the belt feels tight but still could be slipping I guess...
It dries clothes just fine, but you can't stay in the same room for very long...
--
gado

gado wrote:

Not sure how that one is made but the ones I have had (primarily GE) have a nylon bushing on the rear spindle that eventually will wear out. Have to pull the drum (not more than about a 15-minute job) to replace it.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Some dryers support the drum at its back end with wheels about the size of those on roller skates. See if your dryer has them and if so, they they need lubing or replacement.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Update: Took the top cover off plus the door w/front panels, cut out the belt (cracking) and removed the drum. I removed the tensioner and notice that its plastic wheel seems to be tight, doesn't spin very easily. Is this the noisemaker? Doesn't look repairable. The two rubber drum rollers spin fine with only a little play in their shafts. The motor has no discernable shaft play. I'll try replacing the tensioner and belt.
--
gado

gado wrote:

Hi,
Probably is...roller wheels and idler pulley are common noise makers.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N346 Dryer idler pulley
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&NR9597 Most common dryer belt
http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpool-dryers.html Something that may help.

Just to add to what Jeff said. In my experience, at this time it is worthwhile spending a few extra dollars and buying; 1. The whole tensioner assembly- not just the wheel. 2. Check the 2 little wheels that the rear of the drum ride on. If they aren't 100% freewheeling, then replace them, too. They also come as a wheel only set, or as a complete assembly. Buy the complete assembly.
In my house- if I replace just the pulley or wheels, the repair will last a year or two. By replacing the entire assembly it jumps to 5-6 years. [my dryer is 25 years old and thanks to Appliance aid it runs like a new one]
Jim
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info