electric dryer screeching

Not sure how that one is made but the ones I have had (primarily GE) have a nylon bushing on the rear spindle that eventually will wear out. Have to pull the drum (not more than about a 15-minute job) to replace it.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I have a Kenmore model 110 electric dryer, don't know the age. It just started making a horrific, continuous, pulsating screech when running. Not like when your car's belts are slipping, more like metal on metal. I looked inside the drum at the fabric/plastic bearing on both ends and it doesn't look extremely worn through. I guess its silly to oil this bearing if you want your clothes clean.

What other parts would screech? I took the back off and part of the lint chute to see the fan but not too deep into it yet...the belt feels tight but still could be slipping I guess...

It dries clothes just fine, but you can't stay in the same room for very long...

Reply to
gado

Some dryers support the drum at its back end with wheels about the size of those on roller skates. See if your dryer has them and if so, they they need lubing or replacement.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Update: Took the top cover off plus the door w/front panels, cut out the belt (cracking) and removed the drum. I removed the tensioner and notice that its plastic wheel seems to be tight, doesn't spin very easily. Is this the noisemaker? Doesn't look repairable. The two rubber drum rollers spin fine with only a little play in their shafts. The motor has no discernable shaft play. I'll try replacing the tensioner and belt.

Reply to
gado

Hi,

Probably is...roller wheels and idler pulley are common noise makers.

idler pulley

common dryer belt

that may help.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

OP-

Did I miss the age of the unit?

BTDT in ~1990 I replaced the idler wheels AND the idler wheel SHAFTS on a 1973 Kenmore dryer (it was squealing that crazy!) The unit had been inserive at my house since (family of four; two young boys)

the shafts where worn, I could feel their out of roundness

it's sitll running in my shop ~ 5 loads per week since 1990; no squeals

Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Just to add to what Jeff said. In my experience, at this time it is worthwhile spending a few extra dollars and buying;

  1. The whole tensioner assembly- not just the wheel.
  2. Check the 2 little wheels that the rear of the drum ride on. If they aren't 100% freewheeling, then replace them, too. They also come as a wheel only set, or as a complete assembly. Buy the complete assembly.

In my house- if I replace just the pulley or wheels, the repair will last a year or two. By replacing the entire assembly it jumps to 5-6 years. [my dryer is 25 years old and thanks to Appliance aid it runs like a new one]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht