Electric dryer problem

I have a 10 year old Whirlpool electric front load dryer. Several months ago it overheated and stopped. Had to wait for it to cool and then it started again. It worked fine after that (we use it daily), so I forgot about it. The second time it happened, I cleaned out the vent duct, but it was not clogged at all. Again, it worked fine for over a month. Now its done it again, but once I let it cool and restated it, its been going fine for the last few days.
I don't think it is a timer issue or door switch. I'm thinking it is the thermostat or thermal cutoff?
Am I on the right track. Should I just replace both?
snipped-for-privacy@gate.net wrote:

Thermal cutoff bad would mean it wouldn't shut off. Ergo, if it's one or the other of those two, it's the thermostatic control.
OTOH, it could be a motor thermal cutout instead.
snipped-for-privacy@gate.net wrote:

I've seen motor bearings (bushings) cause this. They begin binding, heat up and cause a motor overload. After cooling it works fine again. It will get worse and worse in time to where the motor won't even start.
--
LSMFT

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 08:51:46 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gate.net wrote:

It may be the plenum that is plugged up.

Remove any panels that let you see the motor. Use air hose or output from a tank type vacuum sweeper and blow through the motor to remove lint. This may solve your problem. Ex appliance repairman. ww