Electric Dryer no drum light and won't start

My kenmore dryer just quit working and it's less than a year old. The other week it stopped heating but would still run and then it magically started again. This time the drum light won't turn on and it won't start at all. I've check for voltage at the outlet and get 240v between the hot wires and 120 between each hot and neutral (without the dryer pluggen in). If I plug in the dryer and test the voltages on the dryer terninals, I get about 120v between the red and white leads and about 64 between the red and black but nothing between the black and white. I've tested the door switch and that is working properly and there is continuity throught the thermal fuse. Does anyone know if this is a dryer or a circut problem?

Thanks

Reply to
Jack

did you remove the thermal fuse to check for continuity??? if not then you might be getting continuity from the circuit that it is protecting and not from the fuse itself.. one way to test real quick is to bypass the two wires that go to the fuse and plug it in and turn on and off real quick..if it starts up then you know the fuse is bad... but the reason why the fuse went out is that you probably have link all blocked in the area of the heater box... i took mine in the back yard and took the cabinet off and used a vacuum and brush all over the insides of it and got out alot of lint that was trapped around some sensors, keeping them full of heat so they were insulated and did not know it was time to turn off the flame and kept giving it heat and the fuse blew like it was suppose to so the house would not burn down..... hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

Hi,

*Sounds* more like a loose wire/wire connector between the house power and the dryer than a dryer problem.

Do check the dryer cord and receptical as well as the entire line back t othe house fuse box, make sure there are no joints/splices/boxes between the fuse box and dryer that may be heated up.

jeff.

APpliance Repair Aid

jeff

Jack wrote

If you're getting the full 240 volts to its outlet, the breakers have to be Ok.

Then call for service as it should be covered by warranty. Don't get into it too much or you could void what warranty there is left on it.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~